Clerget Propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clerget Propeller

Hi I have just been bequeathed by a late very good friend his Clerget propeller with clock in the boss (just wedged in and no damage to boss)
    I am fairly sure it was from a Sopwith Pup but I will stand corrected if anyone knows different.
    On the back of the boss is
    C I 185
    AD 555 RH
    110 HP Glerget
    D 2590
    P 2630
    Tractor
    Any help on a positive identification would be much appreciated
    Nidge

That model (AD555) when used with a 110 HP Clerget is listed for the "Hamble" and Sopwith Baby. The Hamble Baby was a variant of the Sopwith model and was built by Fairey Aviation, Ltd.

There's no mention of use on a Pup.

Comment

Thank you for your prompt reply, funny thing is I am reading Captain Jack McCleery's diary and I am up to the point that he has just started flying Sopwith Baby's from Calshot.
      Regards
      Dave

Comment

Can you post a photo of it here?

Comment

I have tried to add photo but it keeps asking for URL number and I have not got a clue what that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidge View Post
            I have tried to add photo but it keeps asking for URL number and I have not got a clue what that is.
            That's for when the photo is already on the web and hosted by another site. (The URL is the "address" on the web.)

To upload them here, click "Reply" then below the dialog box is an option to "Manage Attachments". Click on that and another box will open that allows you to choose files (photos) from your own computer then upload them to your reply post.

Give it a try and if all else fails email them to me and I can easily upload them. (Dave at woodenpropeller dot com)

Comment

:///C:/Users/nidge/Desktop/Frank's%20Propellor/20181123_125932%20-%20Copy.jpg

Comment

Photo of propeller and close ups of wording
                Attached Files

Comment

Nice job! And a nice looking propeller.

Note the similarity to a Sopwith Pup propeller, but it's different. Propellers were a bit like automobile tires. They all look somewhat similar but there are thousands of different models with slightly different designs, specific to certain aircraft.

Your propeller was manufactured by "Air Department, Admiralty" and the Pup propeller was manufactured by Bristol and Colonial.

Comment

Thanks for the information
                    Nidge

Comment

Working...
                    X