Prop ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop ID

I have had an approx 8' (tape measure missing!) propeller that has been in my family for 50 years. Attached are some images, but the highlights stamped on it are:

295 with a U.S. stamped inside an anchor on the upper left
    SE274 on the bottom
    OXX-6 on the upper right side
    LH on the top

Any help would be appreciated!
    Attached Files

Hi Rex,

This is probably a propeller designed for one of the Navy flying boats in the late teens. The "SE 247" is the design, or drawing number, which refers to the Bureau of "Steam Engineering" (the "S.E."), which was the agency that procured propellers for the Navy aircraft operations. The OXX-6 is the Curtiss engine that would have been used. "LH" refers to "left hand" rotation, which in combination with that engine implies that it was used in a pusher rather than a tractor configuration. The so called "witness marks" on the hub indicate that it was mounted on an engine at one point. I can't tell from the photos whether it may have been "restored" or not, but usually you would find manufacturers decals on the blades themselves.

A huge number of these props got sold off as surplus in the early twenties when engine and propeller development made them obsolete.
    Dave

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Dave. Any way to tell if it had been refinished? It wasn't refinished by my family but I don't know what happened to it prior.

Also, I do know that this prop isn't especially rare, but any thoughts as to the value? Finished or unfinished?

Comment

Preserved decals are always a clue, but look for "ghosts" where decals might have left a subtle color change on the blades. They might be on the rear surface instead of the forward one. Varnish filling small dings and punctures is another clue, as are drips of varnish. The sheathing does not look polished on yours, but if it had been that's usually a clear sign of "restoration".
        Dave

Comment

Working...
        X