IPC decals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IPC decals

Looking for some British IPC decals; Can someone refer to a very clear photo or drawing or a source for repro decals.
    Have ordered the Gardner book, but need the clearest drawing or photo available to make a decal.
    Many thanks

I'm not sure if there is a single style British IPC decal or if there were several. Most of the decals on this page are of propellers that I currently own (although a few may be gone by now). After I took those photos I got a better camera and figured out a better way to take the close ups, so if those are the style you're after email me (use the PM button at the bottom of this page) and we should be able to figure something out. There is a link on that page to Nostalgic Reflections, who make reproduction decals, but there may be other alternatives as well, depending on what country you're in.
    Dave

Comment

Send me an e-mail and I'll e-mail you an extract from my second prop book on makers and their products. The instalment on IPC won't be out for several months. There are lots of variations on the Integral theme.

With kind regards,

Bob
      Bob Gardner
      Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
      http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Is this one of interest, Bob? I don't own the prop by the way.

Best Regards,
        Bob
        Attached Files

Comment

Bob,

Lovely. Better than my two which are a bit worn and battered. May I use your photo in my next book on British makers? I'll credit it to you.

The book is coming out in instalments because it amounts to about 700 pages and the part about Parnall ( in part eleven; makers from Sage to Valkyrie) will be published towards the end of the year.

With many thanks,

Bob
          Bob Gardner
          Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
          http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Many thanks Dave and Bob!
            This is for a replica Ruston built Sopwith Camel (have an original data plate), and best I can tell this propeller, although only at 90", is closest to the thinner gracefull IPC style with a very subtle curved leading edge. I've attached a photo on the forum in case there is a better suited decal. It's just a replica, but little things like that add a lot in the enjoyment. I am having a replica prop hub machined as well to fit the SAE#1 hub of the engine we are using.

I've spoken to Nostalgic Reflections, and they just need a really good photo to copy

All advice appreciated!

Many thanks!

Add: if you know a prop shop that can make a more accurate appearing and flyable 90" replica, I'd also be interested.
            Attached Files

Comment

I do have a Camel propeller that I have yet to photograph and put on the web site page. It's been refinished at some point, and has no decals or fabric but could certainly be used as a template if you're serious about making a replica. Chad Willie, who I believe is in Iowa has done some very nice reproductions, including some for the Rhinebeck Aerodrome, and would be a good resource to explore. I sent him a Thomas Morse Scout prop a few years ago, which he then reproduced and sent both props to a buyer in England, whom I believe was quite pleased with his work. I can dig that stuff out somewhere if needed.

http://stcroix.50webs.com/
              Dave

Comment

Bob,

I'm awaiting authority from the owner to release, but I'm sure it will be forthcoming.

Best Regards,
                Bob.

Originally posted by Bob Gardner View Post
                Bob,

Lovely. Better than my two which are a bit worn and battered. May I use your photo in my next book on British makers? I'll credit it to you.

The book is coming out in instalments because it amounts to about 700 pages and the part about Parnall ( in part eleven; makers from Sage to Valkyrie) will be published towards the end of the year.

With many thanks,

Bob

Comment

There has just been listed on eBay an original Camel propeller in Australia. A little pricey, especially considering shipping, but it might be something to consider for someone interested in a restoration. It could be used as a template for a functioning reproduction then preserved as a display propeller for the owner.
                  Dave

Comment

Yes, a bit pricey. So is the Ebay propeller linked the "Admiralty shape" as opposed to the more angular Lang design?

Comment

I just ran downstairs and took a two quick photos of the Sopwith prop I have, which is the design AD644. I need to take it down and get a better image of it, but you can see the general shape even though the angle of the camera distorts it. If you search for images of Camels on google you will see this prop fairly commonly. I suspect the Aussie one is the same, but I've emailed the seller and suggested that he include any stampings in his description.

The AD644 prop is 2590mm with a pitch of 2650.

Attached Files
                      Dave

Comment

Originally posted by VISCOUNT View Post
                        Is this one of interest, Bob? I don't own the prop by the way.

Best Regards,
                        Bob
                        That's a fascinating decal, and really shows why the decals themselves have become collectible in their own right.
                        Dave

Comment

Spoke with Mr. Wille at St Croix. We are going to look at doing a replica propeller.

Comment

Let me know how it turns out, and I can take high resolution photos of decals now if you want them.
                            Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                              Let me know how it turns out, and I can take high resolution photos of decals now if you want them.
                              Will do and keep you in the loop; he wants to know the static rpm on the current 90 x 48 blade first, so will know next month.

Comment

Working...
                              X