Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!

I am puzzled! I have a beautiful wooden prop. Here are the specs:

Sensenich Bros. 2 decals in very nice shape.

DES 70AB56
    SER 46338
    HP 90
    RPM 2500
    Lead in cloth and metal
    6 bolt pattern
    Light colored wood

Can you please tell me about this piece, it's provenance and value???

Thanks! Bubbee

I can't find that specific drawing number on the Sensenich page that Lamar Bevil set up, but there are several 70 inch models listed, which should give you some idea.

One thought is that it was a special model of some kind rather than a standard production model. I say that because:
    1. Drawing number (70AB56) isn't listed
    2. That's an unusual length (70 inches) for a 90 hp engine
    3. That's an unusual pitch (56 inches) for a short propeller
    4. It was removed from an aircraft or not used at all (which is how many wooden props end up in attics, etc.)

Sensenich might be able to help you, but don't hold your breath.

I presume it has the "Lititz" decals?????

Comment

I was able to locate this prop in Sensenich's Type Certificates granted by the FAA on December 10, 2003 but there is no listing of this prop's specific usage. I suspect Dave is right with his overall assessment.

Lamar

Comment

I have a propeller with the same model # and I e-mailed Sensenich about it. They replied that it was used on the Culver Cadet with a 90 hp Franklin engine. I assume that is true since that is what the manufacturer says...

Comment

Thanks for this info. I'll add it to the Sensenich page.

Lamar

Comment

In regards to the above mentioned prop, the one I have seems to be in pretty decent original condition. The fabric is a little loose and it's a little dusty, but the one concern I have is that the layers are delaminated. I was wondering if glue were to be injected between the layers and then clamped to dry, would that diminish it's value? The glue wouldn't show, but of course, it would not be the original glue holding it together. Thanks for any input.

Chris
            Last edited by keepmflyin; 07-11-2009, 07:19 PM.

Comment

There just isn't any real advantage for a display propeller to have the wood tightly laminated, and you might find that attempting to do it, even though it should be invisible, ends up showing some other way, like impressions in the wood where the clamps were attached.

Personally, I'd leave it alone, especially if you plan to keep it.
              Dave

Comment

Your right...I'd probably end up doing something wrong and regretting it. I guess I'll just give it a coat of linseed oil as described under the preservation tips on this site and leave it at that. Or do you think I should just quit while I'm ahead? Thanks for the advice.

Chris
                Last edited by keepmflyin; 07-12-2009, 12:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X