Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fahlin brass

Hey all!

I've been in aviation all my life, but just bought my first propeller! It is a Fahlin D-562-45, and I found it at an antique store for $80. How could I pass THAT up? It is missing all the brass and the tips are in poor condition. I have the ability and time to make new brass for it, but would like to know if anyone knows the thickness of the brass.

I would also like to know if anyone could help with a photo or two of exactly how the brass is shaped at the tip and where the seams are. I did find, within this forum, that the sheathing is held on by screws and rivets that are then soldered and smoothed. I can make the rivets. Are they solid, double flush, or hollow and leaded?

Any information about the cloth would be helpful as well.

The propeller I have has countersunk screw holes, so I assume that the brass was dimpled. Either way, I just want to make this old prop look a little better, but not fully restore it, as I want it to look pretty much how I found it, only with the brass intact. I will age the brass. The prop will be a wall hanger.

I am almost done with the artwork to make new decals for it. One was scraped off completely and the other was partial. It was made in Columbia, MO., Just down the road from the antique store where I found it. (according to the partial decal)

Thank you all in advance, and I do have to say, you all have a wonderful hobby and I may just have to look harder for more of these beauties!
    Attached Files

You might need to go to a manufacturer, like Sensenich, to get that information. You've got a lot of work to do there.
    Dave

Comment

Hi Dave, Thanks for the reply! I found out everything I need to know online including the type of brass, except for the actual thickness. I have a friend that just ordered a new Sensenich for his Taylorcraft, so I'll head out to the airport to check it out. I'll order the brass tomorrow along with the decal paper, since I finished the logo and am ready to print.

I'll post photos when it's finished.

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
      X