Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Wooden Propeller Identification > "Early" Wooden Propellers

Old 12-18-2011, 04:44 PM   #21
gino

Hi Kerry

Nice job. I am wondering if you have used the shellac first, followed by the
bees wax or did you applied a different procedure?

Best regards
Gino
gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:24 PM   #22
Kerry

Default Do these numbers mean anything?

It was washed with soapy water, glued and clamped to try to reverse the delamination that had taken place, treatment squirted in with a syringe into the woodworm holes, then a bit of beeswax.

...continuing with trying to identify this rther delapidated propeller, possibly form a DH4, can anyone tell me what the numbers mean in the attached pictures?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Prop 11.jpg (50.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Prop 15.jpg (45.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Prop 9.jpg (47.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Prop 14.jpg (45.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 12-19-2011, 06:28 PM   #23
Bob Gardner

Hello Kerry,

Good to hear from you. Congratulations on your prop. It looks super, compared with its original state. This conservation has not altered the construction or material of the prop in any way, has preserved its life considerably and has increased the value at auction here in the UK from around 1000 GBP to perhaps 1700 GBP ($c2600 USD).

The lettering is;

AID; these four stamps are airwothiness acceptance stamps made at four stages of construction by inspectors from the Aeronautical Inspection Department. Typically they are of borderline legibility and I can't read the numbers except for N87, which I hadn't previously seen and have now recorded in my database, for which, many thanks.

BHP; these letters are often interpreted as brake horse power but this thought causes consternation when written as BHP 200 HP. Here they indicate Beardmore, Halford and Pullinger who were the maker and designer of this engine which was rated at 200hp.

75; I don't know. Possibly the gun timing at 75 degrees past the datum line? This is a wild guess on my part!

What is absent from your data are the G and N numbers which were introduced in late 1917. They indicate a batch number which can be dated. This might well be because your prop was made before then. This is useful because it eliminates the DH9 from the possibilities. Also eliminated is the Bristol F2A and F2B because they used the improved version of this engine, the Siddeley Puma of 230 hp.

So at last we have a likley attribution; it's from an AIRCO DH4 designed by Geoffery de Haviland.

I think you told me you were about to Herrick when we last spoke. If so, welcome home.

With kind regards,

Bob
Bob Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:03 PM   #24
Kerry

Hi Bob,

many thanks - I'll now take a microscopic look to see if I can identify and then note down any numbers, rather than just photo them - the flash tends to bleach out the rather worn detail.

I'm surprised it might fetch anything near the figure you mentioned, given that one chap on this thread commented that he had more hair left on his head than this prop has material .

I'll report back once I have tried to elicit more number sand see if I can find a G and an N number.

And yes, back from H14 safe and sound, thank Goodness.

More soon and thanks once again,

Kerry