IPC decals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

I think I have one for the same aircraft. More pictures if you want.

Regards,
    PM
    Last edited by pmdec; 04-17-2019, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Bonjour Pierre-Michel,

Can you tell me the G number, bottom left in the photo. I can't quite read it. I'd like to add the details to my database.

With kind regards,

Bob
      Bob Gardner
      Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
      http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Hi Bob,

G number is 1207 and serial is AD 644. I sent you pictures of this prop about one year ago (march 2009 ?) : We unsuccessfully tried to read AID boxes (one is "?IV", but others ?).

Regards,
        PM

Edit : Oooops ! "?IV" and not "?ID", as first written !
        Last edited by pmdec; 04-17-2019, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Ruston Proctor Prop shop

The subject application is a replica Ruston plane. I would imagine that if Ruston had their own prop shop, they probably used their own Lincoln Imp logo.

The well documented Ruston 1000 plane looks to have the AD644 design. Do we know that Ruston made AD 644s?

I have also read that Lang props were preferred by Camel pilots in the field. True?

Comment

Many thanks Pierre-Michel. I had forgotten. And I have all the data in my database!

Those AID stamps might be 91V. This was an inspector at the maker Aldam Heaton, but I only have records of them making BE2, BE12 and FE2 props. But they were still making props in 1919 so might well have made Camel props.
            Unfortunately there are quite a few AID nos with 9 followed by two letters, so it might also be 9IV. I have recorded both and in some years time Might have the answer.

With kind regards,

Bob
            Bob Gardner

Comment

SNJ5,

When the RNAS and the RFC were merged into the Royal Air Force in April 1918, the Air Board held a competition to find the best Camel prop and the Navy design AD644 turned out to be slightly better than the Lang prop LP2850. So it was produced in large numbers during 1918 and still retained the drg no AD644, although the Air Dept of the Admiralty had ceased to exist.

At this time Sopwith (who made the Camel) had bought the Lang company and it had become Sopwith's in-house prop maker.

So Ruston almost certainly made AD644 props for their Camels but I have not yet seen one.

With kind regards,

Bob
              Bob Gardner

Comment

Bob

Many thanks as always. This is an amazing subject.
                While I am waiting for the book, could you or anyone comment on what the original finish was on these AD 644 propellers, if any? As I look through my books, there seem to be a few different hues and even fabric applications to the blades. I suppose there was a standard, being military and all.

Best
                Russ

Comment

Working...
                X