Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Wooden Propeller Identification > "Modern" Wooden Propellers

Old 03-29-2010, 06:59 PM   #11
Joe A

Dwight,

Thanks much and it also comes highly recommended by Paul Agaliotis on the left coast, so they are my next choice. Just need to get ahold of them on Tuesday when they are open.

Dave,

Thanks and the question is, "is the prop airworthy" right now? It very well could be, on the other hand it may not, so that is why I was asking. As a 30 year A&P I have seen a lot of wooden props but never worked with an armor coated version.

One problem we have is that the prop in question is only used on the Aeronca Sedan aircraft. Not a lot of them left out there these days and as well not many prop companies making new props for the Sedan. Sensenich does not have ANY for this application and not sure about McCauley.

Looking at ACS's webpage they do not list any props for this application. Even if I were rich, which I am not (am actually unemployed for the last 8 months) just going out to buy a new prop is not always an option. As well I would much rather save a old prop if possible as someday there may not be any more available. There are far too many hanging on the wall with a clock stuffed in the middle as it is.

Thx,

Joe A
Old 04-03-2010, 11:38 PM   #12
bhunt

Joe.
I have never seen any of the armor coatings crack which leads me to believe that the crack is in only the paint on the prop tip. If this is the case then you can fix it. If the armor coating is cracked then it cannot be repaired as the material is no longer available. I have remove the armor coating and it has to be done very carefully. You may get a large piece that comes off very easy but then there will be an area that will stick and may pull some wood with it. I took me about three to four hours to do both blades. And because the metal leading edge is put on after the armor coating you would need to carefully score (not cut through) the coating so it will shear off at the score line. When you refinish the prop this area fills in nicely and is not noticeable.
On another note - the FAA does allow repair to wooden non airworthy props if the repair is done per the FAR's. (regulations)
Also from the original question - I do not have any info on serial number to determine the age of the propellers which is a real bummer.
Bob
bhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:17 AM   #13
Joe A

Bob,

Thanks much!

Hope to save another beautiful Flottorp prop!

Happy Easter!

Joe