Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Wooden Propeller Identification > "Modern" Wooden Propellers

Old 01-02-2018, 12:09 PM   #1
gjb

Default Propellor identification - help required!

Hello,
I have recently come across a relatively short wooden propellor and I am trying to identify what it may have been used on. The propellor measures exactly 5 feet in length and made from mahogany. It has 6 bolt holes. The markings are: NP 11 84 and 11L 44 32. If anyone could shed any light on what the markings mean and what it may have come from I would be most grateful. Many thanks.
gjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 01:38 PM   #2
Dbahnson
Administrator
Site Admin

The numbers do not appear to be standard for any certificated aircraft, and a 5 foot diameter is shorter than any standard propeller that I know of. It will probably be hard to identify, and may be an ultralight or some other type of prop. A few pictures might help narrow it down, but at this point there are just too many possibilities.
Dbahnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 05:13 PM   #3
gjb

Default Photos of propellor and markings

Good idea! Please see photos of propellor and markings. I wondered about an ultralight due to size but managed to get no further. Any suggestions or help appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5734.jpg (89.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8296.jpg (88.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9490.jpg (91.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3159.jpg (90.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 01-02-2018, 05:38 PM   #4
Dbahnson
Administrator
Site Admin

It doesn't really look like an ultralight propeller. Notice that it's a left hand thread, which is much less common than right hand and is "usually" associated with some post WW1 British aircraft or a pusher application on common U.S. aircraft. It's not on this list of British props, so I'm not sure exactly where you can go from there. A huge number of props simply can't be identified.

I can't tell from the photos, but has the metal sheathing been removed from the leading edge, or is it still there?

It's nearly certain that it was made after WW1, so I've moved the thread into the "modern" propellers category.
Dbahnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:58 PM   #5
gjb

There is no metal on leading edges remaining unfortunately so I don't know what was there.