Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Wooden Propeller Identification > "Early" Wooden Propellers

Old 07-31-2017, 06:15 PM   #11
pmdec

Hi,
I was just asked by mail to give my advice.
I just can confirm my first one: IMHO, it is not an aircraft propeller. And probably not a propeller in its strict sense.
Perhaps blades for wind machine. Perhaps an autogyro rotor if you "need" it is from an aircraft, but it can't be a propeller from diameter and bolts size and number (IMHO !)
Regards,
PM
pmdec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:57 PM   #12
Wincharger Mike

I would agree that they may be wind electric. There were a couple of wind electric plant manufactures in the 1920s that had props very similar to aircraft props. HEBCO of Elkhart Indiana used 4 ply walnut and made 10 and 12ft props. However, all of the HEBCO props I've seen (3) had hubs with 8 bolts. They could also be a prop to a Perkins wind electric, another Indiana company. I've never seen one of those other in literature. The literature does say they were 10'. I collect the old wind electric machines so if you ever decide to sell one, I may be interested.
Wincharger Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:36 AM   #13
Dbahnson
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Any idea where I might start doing some research on left hand pitch props? Still curious to do some more digging on these.
The challenging problem is that there were thousands of different wooden propeller designs that had been used in the first 40 or 50 years of aviation. Some were high production items, some were homemade, and some were clearly labeled with identifying information and some were not. The problem attached to that is that there are poor records at best that could be used to trace numbers back to the actual or intended use for the propeller.

So even with clear stampings it's often hard to determine what the prop was for. The left hand thread isn't unusual, but isn't particularly helpful either, as it just eliminates some of the more common applications but doesn't point to any specific one.
Dbahnson is offline   Reply With Quote