Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Wooden Propeller Identification > "Early" Wooden Propellers

Old 02-05-2017, 08:48 AM   #11
Props in War

Default Metal sheathing was added to propellers very early one (pre-WW1) apparently with

You said:
Metal sheathing was added to propellers very early one (pre-WW1) apparently with disastrous consequences as the metal separated from the wood.

So with this info on sheathing, I bet that multi piece metal leading edge sheaths such as the ones on this propeller piece came before one piece metal sheaths.

This section that I am discussing has the first part only held on by 3 rivets, such a tiny section could easily tear off. The next section having 6 rivets !

So in conclusion this damaged blade portion with its multi piece brass sheathing could be very early indeed !!

Regards
Props in War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 02:14 PM   #12
Dbahnson
Administrator
Site Admin

It "could" be anything. That's the problem.

I just don't see anything about it that would convince a potential buyer that it's anything other than a damaged piece of an unknown propeller, age and usage unknown.
Dbahnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 02:29 PM   #13
Props in War

Default Thank you !!

When I say 'could' I really mean that I do NOT always need exact FACTS pertaining to a particular item. Just the facts in general about propeller history that you have provided to me in your replies are interesting enough in themselves.

Thank you and Happy Collecting !

Last edited by Props in War; 02-05-2017 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Published by accident, hadn't finished !!
Props in War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:23 PM   #14
DeeJay

Hi,

I noticed this thread and thought on maybe getting a little more information to you.
The techniek and material used on your blades resembles this blade exept for the wood used.
The brass sheath parts and screws/rivets used, I rather leave it unpolished. Anyway the blade would originally have been coated with a special coating called rotoloid (I think it was called) and painted so the brass sheath would not be visible unless worn down by friction. I am for 99% sure that my Jablo blade is from a Spitfire Mk. IX as I compaired the measurements and figure to a 100% authentic Spitfire Mk. IX propellor blade I also have in my collection.

I think that your blades may have well beeen manufactured in GB.

Kind regards,

Dirk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Prop 01.jpg (96.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Prop 02.jpg (93.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Prop 03.jpg (96.7 KB, 4 views)
DeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote