Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Wooden Propeller Identification > "Modern" Wooden Propellers

Old 10-25-2014, 08:49 PM   #11
pmdec

Hi,

If Dave did have seen the black intrados (3rd pic), he would have guessed it was a "true" prop ...

Mike sent me some more pics and there are what I think to be airworthy stamps on it. The pics are to small to read them and find a precise date, but Chauvière made this kind of prop between (at least) 1928 and 1936.
Mike promised to sent larger pics and close-ups of the stamps by the end of November. So, be patient!
I also will try to find a patent, but for now Espacenet (the european site for patents) is down...

The fact the prop is black painted on intrados tell us it was for a single engine a/c, but it was pretty sure just with the prop diameter: probably for an engine between 100 and 150HP.

The text of the 1st pic is from a 1928 L'Aérophile (an aviation magazine) and is about forged (or wrought?) Duralumin propeller made by Chauvière, with a very special hub in relation with differential dilatation of iron (engine shaft and internal part of the hub) and Duralumin.
The ad on the 2nd pic is from 1936.

PM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aéroph1928-10_ac_800px.jpg (80.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 1936_eBay2014-05-20c_arr_800px.jpg (86.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg photo 4_cr.jpg (20.4 KB, 6 views)
pmdec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:52 PM   #12
Dave

Interesting, PM. I'm not too familiar with these newer model props, and I didn't realize that Chauviere was still in business in the 20s and 30s.

But what about the coarse pitch? It seems to me that it would require an engine that obtained high power at a low rpm.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:57 PM   #13
pmdec

Hi,

Coarse pitch is effectively a question. I will try to find picture of a/c fitted with this kind of propeller.

About Chauvière, their history is quite complicated. And difficult to find from props, because, at least until the mid twenties, serial number is not time dependent and there are two prop number systems, one for props made in Paris, the other for props made in Lyon.

In the twenties, the prop numbers are incremented Paris factory ones, but there are also Chauvière-Farman props (with a specific decal), with prop number in the same numerotation system that "pure" Chauvière.

After that (or at the same time?), they begin a new serial (or type) number (5xxx), which seems to be incremental. But they begin a new numbering in the thirties for metal props which seems to have "their own life"...
They made variable pitch props, with, for example, one type which was successfuly used on MS-406 (the 3-bladed type 351), in competition with Ratier.

Between 1941 and 1943 (at least), they merged with Olaer (landing gears), then with Berger (electric starters) in CGE (Compagnie Générale pour l'Équipement aéronautique). There are Chauvière wooden props with this specific decal.

But in 1945, one can find again "pure" wooden Chauvière propellers (with the "old" decal, excepted lettering has some very minor differences) and there are still in the wooden props making in 1947 (I have a serial 6003 n°1222 dated july 1947).

After that, or even between 193x and 194x, one can find Chauvière decals and serial number on props made by Merville perhaps under licence: I don't know because it appears that no archives have survived, but some props do exist.

PM
Old 01-02-2015, 04:27 PM   #14
Mooseflyer

Finally got home and sent pmdec some better pics of the prop. It weighed in at 40.4lbs so I'm thinking the engine might have to crank out a bit more hp...
Mooseflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:20 AM   #15
pmdec

Hi,

Finally, got a pic of such a prop on a Potez 53:

Same shape, same hub, same orientation of the decals but they are not in the same place (farther from the hub).

The fact that Potez-53 were racer made for Coupe Deutsch could explain the coarse pitch remarked by Dave. The take-off had to ask for some long field!

Regards,
PM

EDIT: OUPS! If the pic I found is not flipped, it is of a right handed prop vs left handed for the prop of this thread... So, same kind of prop, but not for the same engine. Some racers of this era had left rotating Renault engine, for example the Caudron:

Last edited by pmdec; 01-11-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:58 PM   #16
Biggles of 266

Default Waco Prop

Looks like it might be a Waco prop to me

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/...20130225032005
Biggles of 266 is offline   Reply With Quote