Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Wooden Propeller Identification > "Modern" Wooden Propellers

Old 08-20-2007, 10:07 AM   #11
meddleNmetal

Lamar-

Thank you for all of your help! It has been interesting and greatly appreciated!

Brian.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:29 AM   #12
naucler

Default Mystery patent...

Not much mystery, just a missprint on the prop!
The correct patent number is 1404849, also dated Jan 31, 1922, referring to the metal sheeting on wooden propellers , making this in several pieces to avoid permanent deformation of the metal produced by flexing of the wood at high speeds.
Now I just wonder, did this invention really solve an existing problem, and has it been in common use since then?

Carl J. Naucler
Old 09-10-2007, 12:56 PM   #13
MWP_Lamar

Some of the wooden props from the 1920's have multipart metal sheathing along the leading edge. What purpose these served I do not know. Later wooden props have one piece metal sheathing and they continue to be manufactured that way today.

Lamar
MWP_Lamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:40 PM   #14
meddleNmetal

naucler,

Could you provide me a link to that patent reference? I can't seem to get there with just the number.

Thanks to everyone that has spent even a moment chasing this one down. It is appreciated.

Brian.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:09 AM   #15
naucler

Default patent number

You must have the "alternatiff" plugin installed to your browser, then try this link: http://patimg1.uspto.gov/.piw?Docid=...iew+first+page

The way I found it was through http://www.uspto.gov/index.html - how to search - SEARCH patents now - patent number search - (type pat.nš, 1404849) - images

There it is: "SHEATHING FOR AEROPLANE PROPELLERS" by T.F: Hamilton

Carl
Old 09-28-2007, 06:11 PM   #16
meddleNmetal

Default THANKS!!

naucler-

Perfect! and thanks. For some reason, I couldn't pull it up, but your link worked great. So, this patent number stamped on here gives us a little info, but is it normal to stamp a patent number on something so ubiquitous? Does that indicate that it may have been some kind of prototype or something? Certainly they wouldn't be mass producing these things with an errant patent number would they? I am in manufacturing and know they would set up a stamp and bang these metal pieces out by the thousands.

...or am I grasping at straws?

Thanks for everyones' efforts.

Brian.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:13 PM   #17
meddleNmetal

Default p.s.

... and it would also explain the extra holes.