Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Wooden Propeller Identification > "Early" Wooden Propellers

Old 02-05-2013, 06:26 AM   #11
Bob Gardner

Ah Yes! Well spotted, Dave. So it's a USN prop made to the design of Dashwood Lang for a Liberty-engined Cutiss H 16 flying boat. All we need to know now is if it is half of a four-bladed prop or a two-bladed prop. For forumites who have joined recently, four bladed props were difficult to store and handle on board a warship, so they were made as two bladed props with a hub that was half the size of a normal hub and two were bolted together at right angles.

This hub should be around, say, ten inches deep from top to bottom, but if it's meant to be bolted to another prop, it will be about five inches thick. (These dimensions are illustrative not factual.)

With kind regards,

Bob
Bob Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:33 AM   #12
Bob Gardner

Postscript; I should add that early examples were notched to form a square mortice joint but cracking started at these ninety degree angles and the idea of a mortice joint was discarded in favour of flat surfaces.

Bob
Old 02-05-2013, 07:53 AM   #13
Rjzac67

Dave,

I haven't picked up the prop yet from the previous owner, so I cant check the back side of the hub until I do. I did look at the back, and don't remember seeing anything different from the front.

Thanks, RJZac
Rjzac67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #14
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gardner View Post
Ah Yes! Well spotted, Dave. So it's a USN prop made to the design of Dashwood Lang for a Liberty-engined Cutiss H 16 flying boat. All we need to know now is if it is half of a four-bladed prop or a two-bladed prop. For forumites who have joined recently, four bladed props were difficult to store and handle on board a warship, so they were made as two bladed props with a hub that was half the size of a normal hub and two were bolted together at right angles.

This hub should be around, say, ten inches deep from top to bottom, but if it's meant to be bolted to another prop, it will be about five inches thick. (These dimensions are illustrative not factual.)

With kind regards,

Bob
The published hub thickness is 7 1/4", but that will change slightly over time as the wood shrinks with drying.

Bob, I think there is a subtle difference between this presumably Paragon propeller and the Matthews Bros. prop, which uses an "L.P." drawing number and almost certainly is a Lang Propeller drawing. The Lang design has a sharp demarcation at the widest point ("diamond shaped") where the Paragon had a similar overall appearance but a more rounded appearance at its widest point at about the mid-blade position. I've seen several similar Paragon designs for several different aircraft.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #15
Bob Gardner

Hi Dave,

The Lang angular shape is very distinctive and the Lang method of attaching metal sheathing is also distinctive. As Lang was the director of prop making for the USN I think he would have initially ordered props for the Navy from US and probably Canadian prop makers, made to his design. This didn't last for long. New prop designs emerged during 1918.

Bob
Old 10-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #16
Rjzac67

Bob & Dave,
Thank you for all of your help identifying my prop. Last month I I got injured and have become temporarily disabled, of course I own my own business and am out of work without any income, so I have to sell my prop. I have been unable to find a similar one for sale or determine its rarity. That being said, does anyone have any idea where I can find this information, and where the best place to list the prop would be.
Thank you,
RJZac67
Rjzac67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:20 PM   #17
ostaszjs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gardner View Post

With kind regards,

Bob
Bob,
Thank you for all of this information and apologies for the long delay in responding to your question. The hub for this prop is approx. 7 1/2 inches deep - so I am not sure if that qualifies it as a two or four-bladed prop. Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated!
tks/rgds, John
ostaszjs is offline   Reply With Quote