Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Design and Manufacturing > Show and Tell

Old 09-29-2014, 02:31 PM   #1
JKN-BSE

Default D.H. Gypsy prop clock

I have a clock made from a propeller. My dad was born in Jubbulpore (now Jubalpur) in India in 1922 and when I was young he told me the clock was made from the propeller of Amy Johnson's D. H. Gypsy Moth. Father had gone to boarding school in England from 1928-39 and, on returning to India, my grandfather, a military engineer, who ran a gun carriage factory in Jubbulpore, told him it was Amy Johnson's. I decided to look into this claim.
At first I was excited when I read that Miss Johnson landed roughly at Jahnsi, which isn't a million miles from Jubbulpore, on her way to Australia and also that she had replaced her prop on the same journey. Then I read the detail and discovered that she replaced the propeller in Burma, not India. Also, her flight to Australia was in 1930 and the propeller clock I have has a date on it of APR/32. I am assuming this date would be manufacture date? It wouldn't be (I say, clutching at straws) a 'change by' date?
So it almost certainly isn't 'Jason's' prop but I am still interested in the history of the propeller, why it was made into a clock and wonder if you could help? It has serial numbers and the like on it. Would there be a record anywhere to help trace it's history? Any help would be gratefully received. I attach a photo of the clock.
The inscriptions on it are as follows:

DRG NO D.H.5180/5
ISSUE 17
D.H.GYPSY
L.H.

D6' - 4'' P5' - 1'' APR/32
A.C.G NO 26078

As you can probably tell I know nothing about propellers so I would find any information interesting. I just read of Jean Batten who crashed in Karachi in 1933 trying to beat Amy Johnson's record. I wonder...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140929_172539.jpg (98.1 KB, 5 views)
JKN-BSE is offline   Reply With Quote