Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Wooden Propeller Identification > "Early" Wooden Propellers

Old 04-22-2010, 05:48 AM   #11
Vulcanworks

Thankyou for your efforts on this so far - the information contained in these posts far exceeds my expectations. I must apologise for taking so long to respond but the sudden lifting of flight restrictions caused two weeks work to arrive in the space of a couple of hours and I have been on the back foot ever since. I will try to respond in more detail tomorrow.
Vulcanworks
Old 04-22-2010, 07:11 AM   #12
Bob Gardner

And our thanks are due to you. The discovery of a WW1 prop near the site of WW1 aircraft manufacture is a very rare event and fraught with interesting possibilities. There's a hint of Saxon Hoard about it, but in propeller terms those only exist in major Museums, generally in store. I'm going to Poland in two weeks time to see the reserve collection of German WW1 props in the Krakow Museum. Or at least I hope I am. They haven't replied yet!

I very much hope that your prop will provide new data. I would much like to come and photograph it in detail.

With kind regards,

Bob

Last edited by Bob Gardner; 04-22-2010 at 07:35 AM.
Bob Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:05 AM   #13
Bob Gardner

Hi Vulcanworks,

Have you overcome the backlog of work yet? We are anxious to see photographs of the prop? Is the prop still at the museum? If so, I would like to go there to photograph it for this forum (and my book if it turns out to be special).

With kind regards,

Bob
Bob Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:06 AM   #14
pmdec

Hi,

A little something about Waring & Gillow : I have found in a 1917 Ratier book a copy of an invoice :

[M]essieurs Waring et Gillow
58 Rue de Reuilly
Paris - XIIe

9 Octobre [191]7

Temps passé par mon ouvrier [nom non déchiffré] à Chatellerault du 24 au 31 Août
pour traçage de 63 [ou 68 ?]hélices.

8 Journées l'une 25 200

It translate something like :

Messrs. Waring and Gillow
58 Rue de Reuilly
Paris - 12th

October, 9, 1917

Time spent by my worker [name not deciphered] in Chatellerault from August 24th to 31th
for drawing 63 [or 68?] propellers.

8 days one 25 200

[Sign in upper left said "no other invoice in the book"]

I think French "traçage" mean drawing each lamination. But 8 days, even for 68 props, seems a very long time, as they had to have templates.
And why Châtellerault? It is about 300km SSW of Paris. And there is no billing for worker transportation : did have Ratier some people working there ? One more mystery!

Next time in Paris, I will look for the address (58 rue de Reuilly à Paris) in 1917 and 1918 Bottin (sort of phonebook).

Regards,
PM

PS : Book translation idea is very kind from you, Bob!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FA11-477_600px.jpg (37.9 KB, 5 views)
pmdec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:51 PM   #15
Vulcanworks

Hello all,
Please accept my apologies for the time it has taken me to return to this subject.
The propeller referred to in this thread was moved when the small museum in which it was 'stored' closed some years back. I brought its existence to the attention of a couple of people locally in the hope that it might one day see the light of day again and it eventually found its way to The Atkinson centre in Southport. It is currently in storage there and they intend to return it to display if and when funds allow.
I continued to research its provenance on the North Meols Family History Society Forum (http://nmfhssouthport.myfreeforum.or...57-0-asc-0.php) for some time and I have a bit of a problem I wonder if you might help with. The propeller was donated to the museum in 1941 by a local Councillor, and I have a hunch that it may have come from the hangars at Hesketh Park Aerodrome. These were used by Giro Aviation pre-war to house aircraft used for joyriding on the beach. There were no BE2's amongst them but there was a number of DH6's which used the RAF1a engine. I obtained some photographs taken within the hangars pre-war which clearly show a number of propellers hanging from the walls. The hangars, I seem to recall, were used during WW2 for maintenance of aircraft including DH Mosquitos, and it would seem logical that prior to this the military would be likely to clear out any junk. Perhaps this explains why it surfaced when it did.
This theory is dependant on the interchangeability of the prop to allow its use on the DH6 RAF1a, which I realise may have been geared differently. Can you please have a look to see if you have any information which may help?
I have attached a couple of pictures I took back in 2010 when I first came across the prop.
Again, apologies for my taking so long to update you all.
Best regards,
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG1212.jpg (107.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1213.jpg (107.0 KB, 12 views)