Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Wooden Propeller Identification > "Early" Wooden Propellers

Old 03-03-2014, 10:02 AM   #11
Bob Gardner

Tom,

How marvellous! Thank you for telling me. Lovely engine note. Well driven, if you will allow me to say so. Good race-craft too. Are you double-declutching on upward changes as well as down? Had you gone round with no traffic I should think you could have brought the record down a further minute.

I started off around 1968 hill-climbing and saloon car racing my Imp with a 998cc engine, then migrated into rallying. On one occasion I was so annoyed with my useless navigator that I put him in the driving seat and I navigated, to discover that both of us suited our new seats very well! I then remained a navigator for the next thirty years or so. Mainly club and national events but International events when I could escape from the Army.

Lovely engine note!

With kind regards,

Bob
Bob Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:52 PM   #12
Charawacky

Hi Bob

I am no racing driver, my lap average was only 60 mph! but I enjoy the car especially if I can get past a Talbot 90 fitted with a 105 engine!
I have driven this 1925 car for over 40,000 miles with more time above 70mph than below, this car has the first engine I had ever built and revs over 3750, just occasionally. I am currently building a 1912 Crossley which has the same bore and stoke as the Bentley but can only rev to 2100 rpm but has colossal torque being a side valve with very short connecting rods.
I attach a picture of one of the Crossleys with a trailer like the Period image posted earlier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0197 adj.jpg (93.8 KB, 9 views)
Charawacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:15 PM   #13
Bob Gardner

Thanks Tom. Another good photograph.

How many Crossley's exist on the Register? Both the Shuttleworth Collection and the RAFM have one I think, both with a Hicks Starter?

For fellow forumites I should add that the Hicks Starter was a device which started aero engines in WW1. It was mounted on the Crossley small truck used by the RAF and probably was connected to the engine via a power take off.

These views reduce this post by at least a thousand words.
http://www.belgian-wings.be/webpages...erWevelgem.htm
Old 03-03-2014, 05:06 PM   #14
pmdec

Hi Bob,

Never heard of a Chauvière quick release or fastening hub! I read some lines in a French newspaper or perhaps in Flight oabout what it could be such a system at Paris Air Show, around 1912, but it was linked to Bertrand Montet products. Anyway, I did not see any drawing.
Where have you read about such a mechanism made by Chauvière?

Regards,
PM

Did you want a copy of the lines I read? I could be able to retrieve them...
pmdec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:22 PM   #15
Bob Gardner

Bon Soir PM,

I think I read about them in Flight too, from 1914 in an account of a London Air Show where M. Chaudière ...exhibited a very neat contrivance in the form of a quick expelling nut to be used in connection with the standard metal bosses. I know nothing else!

Avec le Respect,

Bob
Old 03-03-2014, 05:32 PM   #16
Charawacky

The huck starter shown is a Ford T and is the most usual basis for this type of equipment. A Crossley I have never seen, Peter Jackson has a Tender Chassis which is believed to be being built as a huck starter. Find attached the only reference I have to a Crossley Huck Starter, post war?

RFC Crossley Staff Cars have the same Chassis and Running Gear as a Tender, except for axle gearing.
2 complete staff cars exist, both 1914, I have one which is completely original down to lights except for paint and leather, the other staff car has a new body copied from mine and is currently in Germany. I have the third Staff Car a 1916 which has been parked on the sea shore from the 1960's to the 1980's and was in very poor condition. parts have been sourced from South Africa, Ireland and Australia which will allow a rebuild.
The Shuttleworth Crossley is a very good example of a the smaller civilian pre war 15hp and in looks is quite close to the RFC 20hp Crossley.

Complete Crossley Tenders are greater in number, The RAF museum have an example which has serious engine problems although they are trying to rectify them for the Centenary.
Peter Jackson has an example as previously mentioned.
There is an example in Manchester which was used in David Lean's film Ryans Daughter and as a result has both a replica bus and Tender body, the village bus body is currently fitted.
A tender with a JOSEPH LUCAS van body is in private ownership in the south of England.
My own example is the only one currently on the road and with its original body intact, this is the one shown in my previous post with it's trailer.
There are numbers of kits of parts perhaps up to 4 in existence all in long term ownership but not for sale.

There are a handful of Civilian Edwardian Crossleys pre and post WW1, the newer Crossleys after 1920 up to 1938 are quite numerous.

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Huck Starter.jpg (97.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg picture-26.jpg (67.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 05-19-2014, 05:39 PM   #17
Charawacky

Here are a few images from Stow Maries Tender with Trailer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_0292 (1).jpg (70.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (96.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled 2.jpg (18.8 KB, 5 views)