Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Wooden Propeller Identification > "Modern" Wooden Propellers

Old 01-19-2014, 08:22 PM   #11
testguy

Dennis,
As previously mentioned, I am a clock collector and in our world a clock consists of a clock movement (in this case the Sessions Electric Clock movement), as well as a clock case (in this case the propeller hub).
I appreciate your interest, but I want to keep the clock installed in the propeller and in the shipping case all together in my collection for now.
Best regards,
Brian
testguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:53 AM   #12
D.Hicklin

Default one further question

Hey Brian.

Now that we have the terminology finally settled, I have one further question for you about this piece.

Being that I go to various swap meets and flea markets and occasional estate sales, I have a fair idea of what that piece was worth purely in the realm of it being a discovery and more often than not, the people that had it, didnt know what it was and didnt have any idea of what price to put on it.

Being that at this point you have choosen to keep it, I am very curious what the price was that you paid for it, and what the original price was on it, that perhaps you were able to haggle with the owners, to get it down to a lower price.

Purely as an example, with all of the considerartions of non working elements and missing glass, had I seen it on a table at the portland swap meet and if it had a price tag of $100.00 on it, I would have beaten them down to $75.00 or $60.00, and if it was displayed with no price on it, I would have started at $50.00 and stopped at $100.00

So I am curious to see how close I was, or did you get lucky and get it for next to nothing?

If at some point, that you decide to sell the piece and the box, please consider selling it to me, as what you have would fit nicely with my two other S & S props.

Thank you for your time, its greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Dennis Hicklin
Seattle Washington
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1047.jpg (103.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1196.jpg (99.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1199.jpg (84.3 KB, 5 views)
D.Hicklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:55 PM   #13
testguy

Dennis,
The estate sale asking price was $450. and I paid some what less. However, I paid more than I wanted because another buyer (dealer) was willing to pay more than the asking price. In Ottawa, we have several museums including the Aviation Museum, the Science and Technology Museum, The War Museum and the Canadian Clock Museum. I am going to bring the propeller clock and shipping crate to our next NAWCC regional meeting, and get it appraised by the curator of the Canadian Clock Museum. I thing it is interesting enough that a museum may want it.
Brian
Old 01-20-2014, 08:19 PM   #14
D.Hicklin

Default Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Brian.

Isnt it amazing the values we put on various objects. $450.00 is usually what one of the full S & S props are worth up to about $600.00 it varies per deal and per distance when haggling over the freight.

Who would have thought that such a piece would command a high asking price like that. But when in slight competition with another buyer with deep pockets right next to you, it can have an effect that is hard to cope with.

The clock would have had to work, with a full glass face to get $250.00 to $275.00 out of me if I were there. Past that figure, it tends to get a bit silly over a piece that isnt a prop.

I hope you didnt go over $300.00 for it, but no big deal, it has a new home now. If you can, I would like a link to the canadian clock museum, that sounds like an interesting venue.

Well this has been a very interesting informative lesson in the fine art of found objects connected with the S & S firm of winnipeg. A piece like that is indeed a great find. Well done sir.

Sincerely,
Dennis Hicklin
Seattle Washington.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0987.jpg (105.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 01-20-2014, 08:35 PM   #15
testguy

Dennis,
The link to the Canadian Clock Museum is www.canclockmuseum.ca
Brian
Old 01-20-2014, 08:51 PM   #16
D.Hicklin

Default appreciation!

Thanks for the link brian, its greatly appreciated.

Dennis.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0549.jpg (107.0 KB, 2 views)

Tags
drg. 420, s&s, s&s 405