Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Design and Manufacturing > Manufacturers

Old 06-19-2008, 03:36 PM   #1
Robert Gardner

Default Gardner Propellers

My name is Robert Gardner. My Uncle Bill was William H. Gardner Jr and he manufactured Gardner Propellers in Forest Park IL. I would like to contact anyone who used or had knowledge of my Uncle. After WW2 he went out of business as the metal variable pitch prop took over the business.

Robert Gardner
Old 06-19-2008, 09:39 PM   #2
MWP_Lamar

If you have anything written on the Gardner history, I'd love to get your permission to include it on my Gardner web page. Unfortunately, I have nothing to contribute.

Lamar
MWP_Lamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:37 AM   #3
Robert Gardner

My Uncle Bill Gardner was a very interesting man. He attended Dartmouth but never graduated. His interest in airplanes led him to design propellers. He opened a factory in Forest Park IL through the financing of his father who was a banker. My father was a lumberman and had his lumber company on the same property. I used to go down to the Propeller works and watch them build propellers. It had a wonderful smell of the glue room where they laminated the wood to make the propellers. He had two employees who were German and were expert craftsman in their trade. In WW2 he made club propellers for the air corps. After the war the propeller business started to fall apart due to the variable pitch props made of metal. He could not compete with them and moved his shop to Wisconsin and tried making golf club heads. This failed and he eventually got a job in Peoria IL as a draftsman. After he retired he moved to Springfield IL with his wife and became quite active in AA. He did a prison ministry for AA. Eventually his health failed and he passed away from heart failure.

I really wanted to know if there is anybody who used his product and if there are any of his props around.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:13 AM   #4
lls803

I have a Gardner Prop #1521-3610. It measures 90" and has the metal hub and 8 bolts intact. I have been trying to find out more information about it.

Linda
lls803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:08 PM   #5
killerfiction

Hi, I'm about to return my father's Gardner prop to him, (he got it from my grandfather, who worked for the Stinson Aircraft Co. at one time) after cleaning it lightly and getting a display stand for it. Its numbers are: DES: 491 (which I believe means that it was used on a Continental 75 HP engine); Ser: 9851, and A.T.C. 710. Any other information that anyone may have would be appreciated, as I would like to conjure up a small brass plate for the stand with some provenance written thereon. Thanks, all.
killerfiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:58 PM   #6
planes

I have a propeller that I know to be from the WWII era. It was given as a gift to my great grandfather who was a civil engineer in the army. It is a Gardner propeller with identification numbers as follows:
DES. 491
SERA. 42729
A.T.C. 710

It also has it stamped on it:
80 horsepower and 2700 revolutions per minute

I believe that it might be from a Stinson, but am not sure. It is a double blade modern wooden propeller with a silver star in the center. (but this might just be because it was a gift.) Thanks for any help!
planes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:14 PM   #7
Dave

It could have been used on something like the Stinson Voyager, one model of which used the 80 HP Continental engine. Typically, the prop is fitted to an engine, and it might apply to several different aircraft, but there's no way to be sure which one unless all the others are somehow excluded

I might be able to find something more about the type certificate number when I get home tomorrow.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:21 PM   #8
planes

Thanks so much Dave! any information you can find out is extremely helpful.
planes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:03 PM   #9
MWP_Lamar

Based upon my experience, Gardner props are pretty rare. Over the years I've seen perhaps four for sale and three of those were on eBay.

May I use your dialogue above on my website? Thank you.

Lamar
MWP_Lamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:15 PM   #10
Robert Gardner

You may use my dialogue.

Robert Gardner