Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/8 scale Axial propeller for Hasegawa Dr.1

Hi everyone,

A couple of years ago on The Aerodrome I had some requests for some 1/8 scale Axial propellers to suit the Hasegawa Fokker triplane. I have been measuring and studying an original Garuda propeller, also for the Oberursal U.R.II, so I could build these in 1/8 scale, or any other scale as required too. They were not fitted to the Fokker triplane in service, but they were fitted to the Fokker E.V and D.VIII, so if anyone is building a model (or even a full sized) Fokker parasol I could build one for you.

I had lost track of who needed propellers, but I recently received an e-mail from a member who was one of those who wanted a 1/8 scale Axial propeller, so I have started to make one. It is nearly finished, so I thought it was time to post some photos of the progress I have been making on this propeller. The first one is a generic one built from the drawings I have. I have been told that it was drawn from measurements taken from an original propeller, which I am sure that it was, but it has perfectly even laminations, which I don't believe to be typical of German propellers. The Garuda propeller, for example has laminations varying from about 11mm to 35mm or more and they are not even parallel to each other!

My plan is to build some more specific propellers with the typical variations in lamination order and thickness, but that will take time and I only have the generic one and the associated formers for it at the moment.

The photos are of the laminations stacked together, although not in their exact final locations, front and rear views, the laminations seperated and laying adjacent to each other, and the formers I have made in order to align each lamination when I glue them together.

I hope you enjoy the photos, and I will look forward to hearing from Sam, or anyone else who would like such a propeller built.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Garuda; 11-29-2012, 11:14 AM.

Looks great!
    Sam

Comment

Hi Sam,

It's great to see you on here!

Thanks very much for the e-mail. I'm out of credit at the moment, so I can't reply to your e-mail using my iPhone, and the notebook I mostly use is not powerful enough to be able to reply to you. I need a much more powerful computer! I've been told that notebooks have very limited processing power, and it certainly seems to be the case.

Thank you very much for the photos. At first when you said that there were two larger holes on either side of the smaller hole I thought that you meant that they were on the sides - out towards the blades, but I can see what you mean from the photos. The larger holes are either side of the smaller hole, but are in front of and behind the smaller hole. Are the measurements you provided in inches? What is the depth of the larger holes? I will need to copy the centre hole as accurately as possible, so that the propeller sits on your engine as accurately as possible. It won't be an exact match to the original, but it will not be seen so it won't matter. The only other holes on the original are around the central hole, although I assume that your scale engine has a front plate, which will cover them anyway. If the front plate has 8 nuts represented on its' front face, they are the nuts for the bolts which go through the propeller and the 8 holes I mentioned.

I will look forward to hearing from you Sam, and I will post progress photos on here as I am able to.

Regards,

David.

Comment

Hi David,
        Any more progress?
        Sam

Comment

Hi Sam,

My iPhone died, which has all the progress photos on it, and was the only practical way I had to access my e-mail. I've been able to re activate the phone I was using before I bought the iPhone (I had to get it unlocked) and might be able to post some photos using this phone, although it doesn't have e-mail so we'll have to chat here until I can get another smart phone. I've also got a couple of digital cameras, so I might be able to post some photos from one of them. I will post some photos as soon as I am able to!

Regards,

David.

Comment

Hi David,

I just stumbled across this thread while looking into the Hasegawa Dr1 and was wondering if I might be able to get you to make me one of the propellers.

Regards,

Ryan

Comment

Hi Ryan,

No problem!

It shouldn't take me anywhere near as long to build subsequent propellers as it has taken to build the first one for Sam! The patterns are by far the most time consuming component. Added to that my keyboard doesn't work properly and my iPhone died with all my photos on it but I will try to post some more progress photos as soon as possible!

Regards,

David.

Comment

That would be fantastic, thank you very much.

Comment

Hi David,
                  Any new progress?
                  Sam

Comment

Hi Sam,

I'm still having IT nightmares here. I've got my digital camera working but I haven't been able to find a cable for it so far, even though I was able to find both boxes for both digital cameras. I was sure I would have had at least one cable in the boxes. I took some photos with my mobile phone but again I can't find a cable and I wasn't able to send the images using Bluetooth. I will get a cable in the next few days and post some photos as soon as possible.

I've been working on the patterns which isn't very exciting but it's crucial to get them accurately made, and I hope to glue some laminations together soon.

Regards,

David.

Comment

Hi Sam and Ryan,

I've bought a card reader, so I will attach a photo of the template for the outline of the propeller. I will take and post more photos as time permits, but as soon as possible of course.

Regards,

David.
                      Attached Files

Comment

The second outside profile added to show how it will determine the outside shape. I'll try to get some more photos soon.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Laminations 1 and 2 glued together
                          Attached Files

Comment

Lamination 4
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X