5 blade propellor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 blade propellor

Does anyone know anything about a wooden propellor with 5 blades?Date must be around 1915 I think.

Can you post picture(s)?

Comment

Originally posted by MWP_Lamar View Post
      Can you post picture(s)?
      That and maybe some kind of explanation on how the date of 1915 was surmised.
      Dave

Comment

Welcome to the forum Anne.

The suggestion of a five bladed prop from WW1 is very exciting.

During the visit of King George V to the Grahame White Factory in 1917 he was shown an experimental six bladed prop in the prop department. I have a feeling that I have heard of the GW company also making three and five bladed experimental props during WW1 but an hour's search amongst my disorganised research papers has failed to show any proof of this thought!

A photo of both the prop and of any data stamped on the prop will help us to identify who made it and when.

With kind regards,

Bob
        Bob Gardner
        Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
        http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

This came to me via the forum email, so I'm presuming Anne meant to post it here.

I will be able to post a picture next week. The prop is at my sister's house in Somerset. The house is about to be sold and I didnt want the prop to go to house clearance without finding out about it. It has been with my family for years and years. My father was in the early aviation business during the first world war and was involved in the sky writing invention. Incidentally he was many years older than my mother which accounts for the dates seeming long ago! I understood that the 5 blade prop was an experiment and I don't know if it actually flew. I will get a relative to take the pictures when they go to the house next week. We live 3 hours away so can't do it myself. Thanks for your interest. Anne
          Dave

Comment

Anne,

Thank you for preserving your Sister's prop from the house clearance people. It might be of minor historical importance. I look forward to seeing your photos with some excitement.

With kind regards,

Bob
            Bob Gardner
            Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
            http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gardner View Post
              Anne,

Thank you for preserving your Sister's prop from the house clearance people. It might be of minor historical importance. I look forward to seeing your photos with some excitement.

With kind regards,

Bob
              Ditto !!!!

Comment

Havnt got pics yet but I got the date 1915 as a rough guess bearing in mind what I know about my father's life and work.

Comment

Hello everybody. I have now received the photo and to my amazement I find that it actually has six blades! Just shows that your memory plays tricks on you. Sorry to have misled you . I don't know if it is still of interest? I also have the measurement. From centre hub to tip of the blades it is 120cm. I will try to post the photo.

Comment

DSCF2558.jpgVery sorry but I have been an hour trying to post the photo and havn't managed to do it. I read the instructions by Dave and they didn't make it any easier! I have uploaded the photo but cannot get it to display or post as a reply. It is very frustrating and I have given up. If anyone can tell me the procoedure I should be grateful.

Comment

Bingo! Don't ask me how I did it!

Comment

Originally posted by Anne Graham View Post
                        Bingo! Don't ask me how I did it!
                        How did you do that?

That's actually 6 blades, and it sure is unusual. I'm not about to be able to identify it, but maybe Bob will have a clue. Thanks for posting it.
                        Dave

Comment

I've not seen anything like this either.

Lamar

Comment

Hi,

There was a 6 bladed prop on a Deperdussin in 1911(or 1910?) Paris Show, and I have a postcard showing the same at Reims 1911 "Concours Militaire". Both seem to be a combination of three 2 bladed prop (and probably the very same prop), and not a one piece construction as Anne prop.
                            This 6 blades prop mounted on Deperdusssin was patented ( http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publi...C&locale=en_EP ). We have a letter showing it was Ratier who mounted the prop on the aircraft for the 1911 Paris Air Show, so we think it have been made by Ratier when they were making "Rapid" props.

Also, blades shape look different, but it is the only 6 blades I heard of.

Regards,
                            PM

I will be very interested by close up picture of the Anne prop hub!

Pictures: 1911 postcard and drawing from Deperdussin patent.
                            Last edited by pmdec; 04-17-2019, 10:25 AM.

Comment

is anyone still interested?

Hi , I wonder if anyone is still interested in my six blade propellor? I did post a picture but havnt heard anything more.

Comment

Working...
                              X