Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hartzell that's split in the middle: Real or Fake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hartzell that's split in the middle: Real or Fake?

I found this seemingly vintage Hartzell prop at a junk shop this afternoon:

http://imgur.com/a/DRF8O

As you can see from the photos, it's not solid; split right in the center and put back together with corrugated fasteners. From what I can tell, the grain matches on either side. Could this have been broken in use and put back together? Or is it a fake that someone made in two pieces? Thoughts?

It certainly looks authentic, although it may not have ever been used. (You can often determine that by close inspection of the hub.) But transporting large objects was often so impractical that they were simply cut in half in order to ship them economically, which I'm guessing happened with this one.

I'd leave it alone and not try to change it in any way. The cutting and re-assembly is part of its history, and it looks as if the rest of it is original. It still makes a nice display piece, just as it is.

You'll see the design number (7210) here.

Comment

Thanks Dbahnson, that puts my mind at ease. It looks pretty darned authentic to me, but I know next to nothing about wooden propellers. I'm mostly interested in antique furniture, but when I saw it in the shop surrounded by pots and pans and other used miscellany, I knew I had to get it.

I wouldn't try to 'fix' it or anything unless it was coming apart, and the repair seems pretty old and solid. Now I just need to decide what to do with it

Is there a serial number lookup anywhere? I'd love to get an exact age.

Comment

Originally posted by saridout View Post
        Is there a serial number lookup anywhere? I'd love to get an exact age.
        Not for Hartzell props. (Sensenich has one, but as far as I know they're the only company that does.)

Comment

Working...
        X