No announcement yet.

Se5a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You won't regret that decision. Many sellers just don't want to believe that their altered prop isn't worth the same as a pristine one. There's a HUGE difference.
    Dave

Comment

This is more of a crate sizing question for Dave, so here it goes. What would the length and girth (tape measure wrapped around widest part or 2xwidth + 2xdepth) be for the crated Spad XI? Reason being I am limited to 130 total inches of length plus girth to recieve packages via the USPS to my FPO AE address. Being that I am stationed in Italy, the customs tax could range from 10%-20% of the determined value, in Euro, if I dont ship it via USPS to the Military Postal System.

Comment

Corey,

There are no customs barriers or national barriers within the EU (European Union). So if you buy a European prop from a country within the EU you can ship it to any other country within the EU without documentation and without any form of tax.

Shipping it back to the States with your personal effects is unlikley to attract import duty. And US Customs do not apply import duty to any antique, which they define as an object which is 100 years old or older. So, a prop made in 1913 is an antique and those made during WW1 (that's 1914 to 1919 for Europeans) will be so within a few years.

With kind regards,

Bob
        Bob Gardner
        Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
        http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Thanks Bob. I will keep that in mind as my search continues. You have any props for sale? I do still have my eye on that awesome Helice that Dave has up for sale. That transaction would be where I pay the customs fees unfortunately, given that its coming from the US, unless it comes USPS and into the MPS, which is limited to 130 inches of length + girth. Honestly, the additonal customs fees are weighing in on my decision of ownership.

Comment

I also make the observation again, for forumites in general, that if you fall in love with a prop and fail to buy it, the acquisitive side of your nature naturally will be disappointed and saddened.

But in many respects you have achieved a success; your money is intact; you will find another prop; possibly better and cheaper.

Another observation is that buying an antique is not the same as buying something disposable such as a car, a washing machine, or a new i-pad which have little or no residual value after a few years. Antiques generally increase in value. WW1 props are likely to increase in value over the coming centenary. It is quite possible that a prop bought now will be sold in fifteen years time for twice as much. In some respects this is like transferring money from one account to another. And props are prettier than bank statements.

B
            Bob Gardner

Comment

It won't fit for USPS.

Here's how I estimate CRATE size for any prop. Get the measurements for A, B, and C below.

Add 2 inches to each of those measurements to allow for the wood needed to create the crate, noting that it's not necessarily just the hub size that determines the dimensions.

In the case of a propeller like the SPAD prop A = 103", B = 9", and C = 7". Add 2 inches to each of those to get a crate that is 105" x 11" x 9". Since the girth will be twice the height plus width (20" x 2 = 40") the total "dimensional weight" used by shippers will be 145", which is acceptable for FedEx but not the USPS.

This method can be used for any prop, but when you're looking at them you usually will know the length ("A") but not the height and width. You can estimate the crate length and then see what's left for "girth". In this case when you subtract 105" from the USPS maximum of 130" it leaves only 25 inches for girth, or 12 1/2 inches for width plus height, BUT you need to subtract 2" from each of those for the crate, leaving only 8" for the COMBINED width and height of the item. You can see from that information that there are very few propellers that will fit within the USPS dimensional limits, and those that do will be short and/or very narrow. That excludes virtually all WW1 era props.
              Dave

Comment

Corey,

No import duty is required on an item returning to its country of origin, which in this case is now the EU rather than France. But you might be charged VAT. Can US Forces in Europe buy items VAT-free? If so, you'll be able to claim back any VAT that Italian Customs charge you.

I used to be a dealer in WW1 British and German props but no longer due to age. But I am selling a few props on behalf of a customer in Switzerland and I might have one WW1 German prop left. You could drive up to Switzerland from North Italy to collect it.

B
                Bob Gardner

Comment

Dave, Bob,
                  Wonderful feedback. I am worried once I buy one of these damn things, I might get hooked!

For Dave, I think my course of action should I go with your prop will be to have it shipped to a relative, who lives in the states and will keep it safe until I return someday. It will bum me out but will save me that 10% or more customs fee. Plus, out of principle, I just dont fancy putting money into the pocket of an Italian govt agency.

For Bob, unfortunately I am still subjected to the VAT even as US Military. Thats not to say I wouldnt purchase a prop over here in the EU, as the tax would not be a show stopper. So, yes I am interested should you have one.

Corey

Comment

Corey.

Let me have your e-mail address by private message (box top right) and I'll send photographs of the prop I have for sale.

With kind regards,

Bob
                    Bob Gardner

Comment

Bob,
                      I have already put money down for another prop. In fact one that you used to own. Do you remember your old AVRO 504 with the unique specs markings on one of the blades?

Corey

Comment

Oh Yes! I sold it to Mickey Smith, I believe. If so give him my regards. If I remember correctly it has an Avro decal on one blade and the calibration results on the other showing hp at various rpm when tested by the RAF, which here means the Royal Aircraft Factory. The Royal Air Force came into being a years later in 1918. It would be almost impossible to find a better Avro 504 prop so you have a prop to be proud of!

With kind regards,

Bob
                        Bob Gardner

Comment

Working...
                        X