Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unknown German WW1 Propeller

Hello everyone,

I need your expert knowledge please to identify a propeller that I inherited from my dad. I attach a photo from the markings stamped into the hub.
    Attached Files

German props are tough to identify positively. Maybe Bob Gardner will see this and offer an opinion.
    Dave

Comment

Hi Illenberger,

Unfortunately the name of the propeller manufacturer is not amongst the information visible on the picture. Look for other markings or decals on the propeller.

The propeller seems to be made for the Argus As III engine of 180hp. Probably it would have been used on a C-type (reconnaissance) aircraft. The diameter of 290 points in this direction.

Note that all above are assumption based on my interpretations and one can never be sure about its use. Maybe Bob Gardner could give you some more insights.

As far as I can see the propeller looks to be in very good condition. Do you have a photo of the complete propeller?

Comment

Looking at how the propeller is stamped, I would say it is made by Reschke.

Check for a stamp on the opposite side of the hub or (worn off) decals on the blades.

This would be my best guess concerning the manufacturer.

Hopefully this helps.

Comment

Illenberger,

Greetings!

Your data translates as;
          N14526 Maker's serial number
          180ps 180hp
          Argus Engine Maker
          D 290 Diameter in cm
          ST 175 Pitch in cm

This is not sufficient data to identify the prop to a maker or an aircraft. Is there any more on the other side of the hub or on the hub faces or on the blades?

These makers below made props for the Argus ASIII and ASIIIa:
          Axial, Becker, Fliegel, Germania, Heine, Niendorf,
          Reschke and Wohlert.

And the engine was used in:
          Albatros C Ia (BFW)
          Albatros C VI
          Hannover CL II, CL III, and CL IIIa
          Rumpler C type

I have not recorded a prop for an Argus engine with the exact dimensions of yours. The nearest is one made by Niendorf with D295 and ST172 used on the Hannover CL II and III.

With kind regards,

Bob
          Bob Gardner
          Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
          http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Hi Bob,

In this case the presented photo is enough to identify the maker. I am pretty sure it is a Reschke propeller.

Here is why:

Of the manufacturers you name above, there are only three who do not stamp their name on the data side of the hub. Tanking into account that I exclude Becker since I have no photos of their markings. I will get to Becker later on.

So far only Niendorf, Reschke and Wöhlert remain.

Niendorf is not the manufacturer, because the order in which they stamp the data does not match the photo and the abbreviations are stamped behind the numbers. Focusing on Steigung it wood need to be "175 St" for Niendorf to match.

Reschke is fully in sync with the presented photo and is visually a good match.

Wöhlert comes close since they stamp in the same order as Reschke does, but differ in the use of abbreviations. The use of the numero sign "№" in front of the serial number is omitted. They only stamp the plain serial number. Secondly they use "ST" as abbreviation for Steigung opposed to the "St" for Reschke without a capital T.

Why not Becker? Because of the serial number.

I wonder if we ever hear back from Illenberger...

Best Regards,

F.D.M

Comment

Thanks FDM. That saves me from going through all my photographs!

A note, incidentally, that part two of my series on German WW1 propellers has just arrived today from the printer and we'll have it on the website for sale in a day or two.

mfG

Bob
              Bob Gardner
              Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
              http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

I am so sorry...

... that I haven't replied to your posts for so long. Some issues kept me away from my research and I just emerged on the surface very recently.

There are no decals on the blades. Close to the hub it says only "geprüft FLZ".

Comment

Working...
                X