• Show
Clear All

Lamination 5
    Attached Files

Comment

WOW, it's looking great David!
      Sam

Comment

Thanks Sam! I knew you would like it! You will be surprised at how thin the tips are, but it's built to the drawings I have, and is an exact scale replica of the real thing. I was shaping lamination 6 today. Tomorrow, unless something else comes up I will sand it to its' correct thickness, check and finally sand it to shape and glue it on.

Lamination 7 is also cut to shape but also needs sanding to the correct thickness, and final sanding of the outline.

Regards,

David.

Comment

Lamination 6
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Garuda; 11-08-2012, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Lamination 7
            Attached Files

Comment

FANTASTIC!!!
              Sam

Comment

Thanks Sam! It's very close now!

I have tried, without success so far to have some Axial logos made up. Would you like me to keep trying, or just send it as it is?

I am not sure of the exact wording of the stamps on the blade, and could finish it with beezwax or varnish, unless you would like to finish it yourself. You will need to send me your address soon, so I can send it to you.

Next I will make one for Ryan and experiment with a few specific propellers such as the ones fitted to Voss' Fokker F.1, von Hippel's Dr.1 or any other Axial propeller I can obtain a good photograph of.

Comment

Hi David,
                  Just send the propeller as is. I'll obtain the logos and varnish it. Can I email my address to you? Is your email address still the same?
                  Sam

Comment

Hi Sam,

Thanks for letting me know. It's the easiest option for me. In time I will be able to source logos or print them myself.

Yes, my e-mail address still works. My computer wasn't allowing me to open e-mail for a while but it's working again now. I saw your message and yes, please send me your address via e-mail or PM.

Regards,

David.

Comment

Done. I'll post a picture of the completed propeller next to the Hasegawa Fokker DR-1 plastic propeller in order to demonstrate the dramatic difference.
                      Sam

Comment

That will be great Sam!

I've been sanding it and it's getting very close now. I will post some photos of it soon.

Thanks for sending your address and for the photos of your work. You are a master woodworker! Did you think about making a propeller yourself?
                        The one I have made is Ash and Mahogany, although I have seen Achim Engels make references to Brich and Walnut, so I am not so sure now what the originals were made of. I've had the original Garuda propeller examined a few times and even the experts can't agree with each other about the species used.

Comment

Hi David,

That is looking excellent, I really appreciate you building one for me.

Ryan

Comment

Hi Ryan,

I am very happy to build a propeller for you. Is your model of any particular Dr.1, or would you like a standard one, like the first one I have built for Sam?

Comment

I am looking to represent either DR1 127/17 or 152/17, all my research seems to indicate the standard seven laminations, 4 of birch and 3 of walnut. If you have any information to the contrary I am happy to defer to your judgement.

Ryan

Comment

Thanks for letting me know Ryan.

I have a photo of each aeroplane but the propeller is in shade in both photos. I have more photos somewhere, particularly of 152. Do you have any photos you could post or send me if they show the laminations used on these particular aeroplanes?

I have seen the same specifications written but examination of original propellers and photos clearly demonstrates that they were not strictly built to specification, and no two propellers were identical. The lamination thickness and orders vary considerably from one aeroplane to the next.

If we can't find a good photograph, or if you're not worried about it I will build it as a standard propeller. From my research I believe it was common to use at least two, but sometimes three species, and perhaps more in any given propeller.

Comment

Working...
                                X