Propeller Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propeller Identification

I am a a volunteer at our towns museum. I have discovered in our store room a wooden propeller with the following markings and before we put it on display, we do need to have some information about it, and I hope someone can help:

It has two decals stating it was made by the Integral Propeller Company

On the top surface of the hub there are the following marks, stamped:

DG 76 1914
    HP 70 REM
    M Farman
    B 25154

It has a diameter of 2990mm (114 inches)

As a recreational pilot and from my initial research I think that it was designed for a Maurice Farman S. 7 Longhorn 70 H. Two Seater Reconnaissance and Training Biplane but would like any further help, please.

That's probably a good bet, but the stamped numbers don't match up with what you'd expect for the M Farman.

There is listed an Integral Propeller model #IPC 67A which used a 70 HP Renault engine (I suspect the "REM" was supposed to be stamped "REN"). It's possible this one was mis-stamped (something that seemed to happen with some frequency among British propeller manufacturers) and in fact was a model 67 rather than 76, but that's hardly enough suspicion to authoritatively determine it to be that aircraft. The listings I have don't specify the diameter, but another IPC propeller, IPC 2365, for the Renault 70 engine does show the diameter as 2900 mm, identical to yours.

If it was used on the Longhorn, I would expect it to have a left hand thread rather than the more common right hand thread.

Can you post some photos of the entire prop and some close-ups of the stamped information? That might help.

Comment

Propeller Identification

I have suffered from thick fingers and excessive tiredness.

Having looked again at the propeller details the stampings are:

DG 67 (With an upwards arrow) 1914
      HP 70 REN

M FARMAN

B 25154

Thank you for all your extra help.

I will try to get some photographs and post them as soon as I can.

Comment

Pictures are definitely going to help, especially a good close up of the stampings and a full photo of the entire prop, similar to the one at the top of this page with the camera positioned as if it were "looking" directly down the middle of the center bore.

Comment

Working...
        X