Help with Vintage propellar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Vintage propellar

I have a wooden propeller that was stored in my father basement for years. Can anyone help me identify the manufacturer and determine if its worth anything?

96" long; 2.5" center diameter

Markings around the hub: SE 274 9-XXO LH 89

Thanks
    Last edited by vintage prop; 06-19-2023, 05:41 AM.

It's almost certainly a pusher prop used on one of the many flying boats being developed in the late teens and early twenties. Note the anchor stamp, used by the Navy.

The "SE" prefix in the model number refers to "Steam Engineering", which was the Navy department that was responsible for procurement of propeller.

"LH" refers to "left hand" thread, which usually is associated with a tractor engine mounted backwards on the fuselage, so it becomes a pusher instead of a tractor by reversing the thread direction.

Comment

I think the “9-XXO” marking should be read the other way up, and refers to the Curtiss OXX-6 engine. This is consistent with the prop being a pusher, also with it being from a flying boat of the WW1 era or slightly later.
      Wikipedia has a list of aircraft that used this engine; many can be ruled out due to being of a tractor configuration.
      If I were a betting man, my money would be on it being from an Aeromarine 40 or a Curtiss Model F.
      Last edited by Mtskull; 09-23-2020, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mtskull View Post
        I think the “9-XXO” marking should be read the other way up, and refers to the Curtiss OXX-6 engine. This is consistent with the prop being a pusher, also with it being from a flying boat of the WW1 era or slightly later.
        Wikipedia has a list of aircraft that used this engine; many can be ruled out due to being of a tractor configuration.
        If I were a betting man, my money would be on it being from an Aeromarine 40 or a Curtiss Model F.
        Good point. I didn't realize that those characters were stand-alone, and it certainly didn't make a lot of sense in the sequence listed, so I think your assumption is spot on.

I'll see if I can find any reference to the rest of the model number, but I'm not optimistic that it was recorded.

Comment

I appreciate the quick replies. With the information you guys provided, I will do additional research on the propeller. Great forum!

Comment

Working...
          X