found in a barn, would like I.D. if possible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• found in a barn, would like I.D. if possible

Hi, folks. Found this beauty in barn rafters. 16 ft long, metal clad ends and leading edge, 5" wide at ends, extends 45" onto blade. Center part is 2 3/4 thick. Center hole is 1 3/4" dia. Front side shows round hub print, four holes running from top to bottom, center set 4 1/4" on center, outer set 9 1/4" on center, one set of through holes 9 1/2" center, running cross ways (with the blades). The other 4 holes are not drilled through the prop.
    On the reverse side, there is an elongated hexagonal pattern, 7 1/2" long, with 3" sides toward the blades, and the side running between is 3 1/2".
    Any ideas on this one? Will get some pix, although it will have to be in sections due to the 16" overall length.
    Thanks,
    Scott

It could be a dirigible prop at that size. I'm anxious to see the pictures, and I'm not sure I have an accurate mental picture of the hub holes. One other possibility is that it's from some kind of wind generator (windmill).
    Dave

Comment

I too would like to see this one.

Lamar

Comment

Thanks for the responses, guys. I'll try to get photos posted tomorrow. I too thought this must be some sort of dirigible or zeppelin due to the size. The center hole size and the pattern left behind from the hub are also really "different".
        Talk with you more then.
        Scott

Comment

OK, guys, attempting to attach photos. This may be tricky.....

Comment

that worked out ok, but pics are larger than i expected. here's the remaining two shots. good luck with the i.d. I'd really like to know what this came from.....

Comment

I think that it was from a wind generator of some kind. It almost certainly was not used on either an airplane or a dirigible. Seems to me I just saw some of these in the Napa Valley in the vineyards recently. I'm not sure why it needs metal sheathing, though.

It's not a great picture, but you can see one from the side in this picture taken in the Napa valley. I'm not sure what exactly they do.

Dave

Comment

I agree with Dave - it's not an aircraft prop. Some time in the distant past I've seen these used to keep air moving over delicate crops to keep frost from forming.

Lamar

Comment

Thanks guys for the input. Didn't know what I had. Seems interesting that this thing would have found it's way into the rafters of a barn in the Colorado mountains, 9000 ft elevation. The barn was built in 1890 by the U.S. Forest Service. There was also a 2-room log cabin and a lean-to built at the same time. The main house and the guest house were built in 1930, and the property was used as a fox and mink ranch. None of these would indicate the use of this type of prop. Who Knows????
                  Thanks again,
                  Scott

Comment

Working...
                  X