Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Granby Prop identity please

Greetings everyone,

I received this e-mail below from Rod in Canada. Lamar and Dave; can you help?

With best wishes for Christmas,

Bob

I am writing from Canada. I am searching for some info on a prop for a friend. He was given a wooden prop which had been found in an antique shop by other friends. There is a logo on it and serial #, but I have been having trouble finding out anything. I’m grasping, perhaps. My friend runs his family’s small airline in northern Canada and also has a large hangar and tarmac he rents out to intrepid travelers. His father just past away and was still flying their Lear jet at 74 years old. They have a government contract to provide medivac services in the Western Arctic and his father was something of a hero up there. Needless to say he is a great airplane and history buff. I thought he would appreciate and get a kick out of some info on his prop. He just loves it and it is the centerpiece of his décor. I’m not sure if you can help, but I have been searching and haven’t found anything yet.

His prop was made by Granby Aviation Ltd. In Feb. of 1943. The serial number is E1026 and there is another number on it…..G.-L.A 613C – I don’t know what that is.
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

I must admit I've never heard of that company. It may well be one of many that sprang up then ceased during WW-II.

Lamar

Comment

Hi Lamar,

Happy New Year! I've heard of the company. I have a photo of one of their decals but I have no idea what they made props for. Probably Avro Ansons, Fleet Finches and DHC aircraft (de Haviland Canada). The thought occurs that I have put this question under the wrong headings. It ought to be in 'Modern Props.' Have you mastered the art of moving posts? Or should I ask Dave?

With regards,

Bob
      Bob Gardner

Comment

Bob, you should have a little arrow icon in the lower left side of this page. Click that to move a thread to a new category. If you don't have an arrow, let me know.

I think you're right about the Granby props. A number of them have turned up as I recall, and were usually of the type you describe.
        Dave

Comment

Oh yes! I knew I had seen them somewhere. Sorry, I am feeling particularly old this morning. Possibly because I worked on my book until 3am this morning, having started at 9am yesterday.

It's an odd experience, writing; unlike anything else in my life. Before you start writing there is, for me at least, an almost impenetratable barrier. It requires great effort to break through. The sort of reason that meant I started writing essays and projects at school and university the day before there were due to be handed in. But once I break through, I enter another realm where time almost ceases to exist. I am only just aware of the hours passing. I look at my watch and note with suprise that three hours have passed where I though it was one. I wonder if an obsessive gene has been identified in the human genome?

Happy New Year,

Bob
          Bob Gardner

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gardner
            I wonder if an obsessive gene has been identified in the human genome?
            If there is there is precious little doubt I have it, too.

Happy New Year to you too Bob, to Dave and to all the Forumites.

Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gardner
              Hi Lamar,

Happy New Year! I've heard of the company. I have a photo of one of their decals but I have no idea what they made props for.

Can I see a photo of the Granby logo?

Comment

granby aviation

Originally posted by zBird-Dog View Post
                Can I see a photo of the Granby logo?
                i've have family ties to both s&s aircraft and granby aviation...and have what i believe to be photos of the manufacturing process of wooden props at both companies...i am trying once again to piece together the few notes i have from my father (who worked at granby aviation in granby, quebec) about his father, leonard short, (who also worked at granby and started s&s in winnipeg) and who was profiled in the a 1948 edition of aircraft and airport in an article entitled, canadian propeller maker....although i have some notes and pics, i still have so many questions and, unfortunately, very little family to whom i can ask them...

Comment

Working...
                X