Garuda and Heine propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garuda and Heine propeller

Hello, I have two German propeller found a Garuda from the First World War. He is 2.80 meters long and has the following inscription:
    Geprüft FLERS ABT2
    Garuda propeller
    DRP No. 5354
    150 hp
    Benz 6.6
    D 280 blattbr. 0.25
    Stg 188
    train

the second propeller is a Heine 3.0 meters long, I think from the twenties?
    with the caption:
    BMW 5a
    D300
    H185
    Heine

motor 5a
    diameter 3000
    pitch in 1850

My question is now from which aircraft are the 2 Propellers
    Best regards and many thanks
    Thomas
    Last edited by Dave; 02-18-2014, 08:57 PM.

Heine Propeller

Heine Propeller Pictures
    Attached Files

Comment

Garuda Propeller

Garuda Propeller WWI
      Attached Files

Comment

Gruß Herr Bär!

Your Garuda Propeller dates from c1915 and was used on aircraft such as the AEG C II and the LVG C I. The Benz engine was much used by the Imperial German Navy but in this case it was from an Army aircraft.

The Heine propeller dates from c1930 and was intended for the BMW 5a engine. The hub may have been fitted for a Rupp quick release hub. The BMW 5 engine was a V12 engine of about 400hp which was used on aircraft such as the Albatros L3 and L5.

mfG

Bob
        Bob Gardner
        Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
        http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

I'm guessing that the Garuda had decals at one point?
          Dave

Comment

Greetings Dave,

Garuda propellers did not always carry decals. I think this is the case for all WW1 makers from all the warring nations. Photographs of stored propellers generally show only an occasional decal, perhaps (off the cuff) at ratios from 10:1 in one example to 50:1 in another.

In the last year of the war the Germans ran out of the materials to make the lacquer they applied to props and also the dope they applied to the aircraft fabric. They made a synthetic cellulose by boiling potatoes and reducing the starch to something like cellulose. It appears not to have worked on propellers because the handbook issued by Idflieg for use at unit level stated that props were to be stored lightly greased with a thin grease, which was to be wiped off before flight and replaced with a thick grease, which gave some protection against rain and hail, important because the combined velocity of the prop tip and driving rain could approach supersonic speed.

Axial propellers had a distinctive art-deco use of alternating laminations of dark and light coloured wood. Towards the end of the war this vanished and Axial props became a uniform black. This might well be because of applied grease.

With kind regards,

Bob
            Bob Gardner

Comment

Garuda & Heine Propeller

Hello, I want to say thanks for the information on my two propellers. The Garuda and Heine propeller. I still have two questions.
              Is it possible that the Garuda (the propeller has no decal) comes from the AEG CII, because it has 150 hp? the 150 PS ist written on the propeller
              The LVG CI had only 120 hp?
              I find no pictures of Albatros L3 and L5 in the web, i will get happy to get one picture from the aircraft. Many greetings and thanks Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gardner View Post
                Greetings Dave,

Garuda propellers did not always carry decals. I think this is the case for all WW1 makers from all the warring nations. Photographs of stored propellers generally show only an occasional decal, perhaps (off the cuff) at ratios from 10:1 in one example to 50:1 in another.

In the last year of the war the Germans ran out of the materials to make the lacquer they applied to props and also the dope they applied to the aircraft fabric. They made a synthetic cellulose by boiling potatoes and reducing the starch to something like cellulose. It appears not to have worked on propellers because the handbook issued by Idflieg for use at unit level stated that props were to be stored lightly greased with a thin grease, which was to be wiped off before flight and replaced with a thick grease, which gave some protection against rain and hail, important because the combined velocity of the prop tip and driving rain could approach supersonic speed.

Axial propellers had a distinctive art-deco use of alternating laminations of dark and light coloured wood. Towards the end of the war this vanished and Axial props became a uniform black. This might well be because of applied grease.

With kind regards,

Bob
                Thanks, Bob. I always liked the Garuda decals and assumed they were on all of their propellers. Decals certainly add a touch of "elegance" to the props.
                Dave

Comment

Fozzie,

I have done some research and can confirm that the LVG C I did use the 150ps Benz engine. The pre-war C I used the 110hp Benz. From 1914 onwards the 150ps Benz engine was used.

Bob
                  Bob Gardner

Comment

Garuda und Heine Propeller

Hi Bob, thanks for your help and the information on the propellers.
                    If I copy images from the albatross L3 and L5 I'll put them in the forum.
                    Greetings from Germany Thomas

Comment

Vielen Dank!

Bob
                      Bob Gardner

Comment

Hello, I was get a germania Propeller in a good condition with 4 decals, 2 iron cross and 2 germania emblems. My question is from which aircraft is the propeller and what mean the Name " FLZ" on the propeller.

the discription is:

Germania Propeller

N 6952

D 285 ST 220

185 PS B.M.W.

EDULZUG

MOD 56

Geprüft

FLZ

Stand

best regards Thomas
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hello,
                          I think it's from a Fokker DVII.
                          Geprüft FLZ means that the prop is airworthy.
                          Grtz

Comment

Grüssen Thomas,

FLZ indicates the Flugzeugmeisterei which was a union of the civilian FLZ with the army P & W in 1917. P & W indicates Prufanstalt und Werft der Fliegertruppe, the Test Institute and Workshops of the Army Flying Troops. These markings help with dating a prop. Thus P & W indicates before 1917. FLZ dates it to 1917 or 1918.

mit freundliche Grüssen,

Bob
                            Bob Gardner

Comment

Germania Luftschraube

Hello, best thanks for all info to my Germania Propeller. I have again a question. the Propeller include the Hub( Nabe in german). I dont now if is this
                              Piece original from fokker DVII?
                              Best regards Thomas
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X