Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propeller for a 100 Gnome Camel

Forum,

The 100 hp Gnome is listed as an original engine for the F.1 Camel. Does anyone have the propeller specifications, designations, shape and manufacturers of this propeller?

Many thanks
    Russ

I may be able to find a model number when I'm home next week, which likely will include length and pitch, but finding actual drawings of any of these older props can be extremely difficult, if not impossible.
    Dave

Comment

That sounds great. I am expecting something similar to a Gnome Pup, but one never knows.
      Thanks again.

Comment

If it's identical to the Pup prop with a Gnome I can get information from this prop, which I own. I'll check that drawing number (DG P3012) to see if it also applies to the Camel. Unless Bob Gardner looks it up sooner we won't know until Monday, when I'm home.
        Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
          If it's identical to the Pup prop with a Gnome I can get information from this prop, which I own. I'll check that drawing number (DG P3012) to see if it also applies to the Camel. Unless Bob Gardner looks it up sooner we won't know until Monday, when I'm home.
          Dave,
          Any luck on the 100 Gnome Camel prop? As I check my Camel database I really can find only one serial where it was used, but my info is very incomplete. There may not have been enough examples to warrant an official specification.

Comment

Originally posted by snj5 View Post
            Dave,
            Any luck on the 100 Gnome Camel prop? As I check my Camel database I really can find only one serial where it was used, but my info is very incomplete. There may not have been enough examples to warrant an official specification.

The only propeller model I could find for a 100 HP Gnome on a Sopwith Camel is AM1708. "AM" stands for Air Manufacturing Company. There are no specifications listed for that drawing number.
            Dave

Comment

Dog gone. Many thanks!! I'll start researching there to see what I uncover.
              Best
              rt

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                The only propeller model I could find for a 100 HP Gnome on a Sopwith Camel is AM1708. "AM" stands for Air Manufacturing Company. There are no specifications listed for that drawing number.
                Well, it's been eight months of looking with no luck on the specifications of a propeller for a 100 Gnome Camel. I did at least find a purported photo of a 100 Gnome Camel (attached) with a propeller. It looks like a square tipped club propeller, but who knows?

Any breaking news out there for more info on specs of photo for a 100 Gnome Camel?
                Attached Files

Comment

Redux

Just a short re=quiry.

I've purchased a 100 Gnome 9B-2 for my full size Sopwith F.1 Camel replica, currently powered by a Rotec radial.

Still trying to ascertain what the original prop was for a 100 hp Camel. Dave amazingly came up with a specification for a AM1708 ("AM" stands for Air Manufacturing Company).

Any info that anyone has on the 100 hp Camel or prop applications very much welcome!!

Many thanks!

Comment

Greetings SNJ5!

I don't have the diameter for the prop for 100hp Gnome Camel but I can get very close.

Most Camel props had a diameter of between 2560mm and 2590mm. The pitch was generally 2650mm.

The AM1708 prop that Dave referred to is listed for the 100hp Gnome engine Camel. It was the T1708 prop of the Royal Aircraft Factory made by AIRCO, the Aircraft Manufacturing Co; hence AM.

T1708 was used with the 110hp Clerget and Le Rhone engines on the DH5 with D2560, P2360. Recorded props were made by Darracq and Tibbenham.

Other Camel props for both the 110hp Le Rhone and the 130hp Clerget both had D2590 and P2650.

The final piece of info is that 100hp Gnome props for aircraft such as the FE8 and the DH2 had D2440 and P2300.

So it would seem likely that the 100hp Gnome Camel had a prop, T1708, with D2560 and P2360.

With kind regards,

Bob
                    Bob Gardner
                    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
                    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Working...
                    X