New to the propeller scene :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the propeller scene :)

I recently purchased a Sensenich propeller and was trying to find out more about it. Tried the Sensenich website but not finding anything. The emblem says Lancaster, PA and the markings are as follows:

GB Lewis Co
    Ser 17008
    Des L7 (this marking is hard to make out so could be be something else)
    PC No. 20
    TS 866 (again this one is hard to read as well, not sure if it is TS and numbers could be 966)
    It has 6 bolt holes and is 74 1/4" long

Would love to try to find out what it is worth but any info anybody could give me would be great, thanks.
    Last edited by sbrunkle; 09-14-2014, 01:42 PM.

Look at the L7 listings on this page. Sensenich often overhauled propellers from other manufacturers, and that certainly doesn't look like a Sensenich design number.

Value depends heavily on condition, so it's impossible to even guess without knowing that.
    Dave

Comment

Pics of my propeller

I tried to post 3 pics of the propeller but it is only letting me post 1. The only place it says GB Lewis is in the actual wood, not on any sticker. It has a sensenich emblem on each wing of the propeller. I would say it is in pretty good condition. It does have an approximately 1/2" crack near the end of one wing but I would say it is minimal. I will try to post the other pics in another thread.
      Attached Files

Comment

Pic2

Originally posted by sbrunkle View Post
        I tried to post 3 pics of the propeller but it is only letting me post 1. The only place it says GB Lewis is in the actual wood, not on any sticker. It has a sensenich emblem on each wing of the propeller. I would say it is in pretty good condition. It does have an approximately 1/2" crack near the end of one wing but I would say it is minimal. I will try to post the other pics in another thread.

Here is another pic of it. Sorry my iPad doesn't take the best pictures.
        Attached Files

Comment

I tried to get a pic of the markings but got some glare. I went to the page you linked for me but am confused why it only says GB Lewis on the markings but nowhere else on the propeller. Thanks for your help
          Attached Files

Comment

Decals can always be added later, but the manufacturer typically stamps the identifying information into the wood, and that can't be removed or altered without being obvious. The original stamped information always takes priority over decals, painting, or one of the many tall tales that often follow the items.

I think it's reasonable to assume that it was originally a GB Lewis propeller for one of the Piper PA12 models and that it was subsequently overhauled by Sensenich after that company moved from Lititz to Lancaster (not sure exactly when that was, but the Lancaster style decals are more recent).

As to value, see this page. You can also search under "wooden propeller" on eBay and get a rough idea of what similar props have been selling for. (Don't go by asking prices, which are all over the place.)
            Dave

Comment

Thank you, I appreciate the info.

Comment

Working...
              X