Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valuation of 2 WW1 propellers

Hi all

I help out at the local ATC [ Air Training Corps ] Squadron that my son attends , they have in their possession two wooden propellers.

These currently are not for sale but they would like to know their value as they need to be cataloged for insurance purposes , would you be able to help ?

Each propeller has a accompanying framed drawing of a WW1 aircraft and so it is assumed each propeller belongs to that aircraft.

The first is from a BE2 , this has many stamps on the hub including BE2C so that is probably correct ? it is in very good condition with the tips being painted in green [ some flaking off ]

The second may be from a FE8 but the propeller has all the markings on the opposite side and is currently fastened to the wall , it has green tips that appear to be metal sheathed ?

Any help would be appreciated.

regards Paul

I would suggest that you contact the insurance company and have them advise you as to what they would consider a valid valuation method. Using an internet method where the "appraiser" has not even examined the propellers will be useless from an insurance claim standpoint.
    Dave

Comment

Dave

Thanks for this.

I think really it will be the other way around ?

They will say to the insurance company we have 2 propellers that we believe to be worth £xxxx pounds and let the insurance company decide how they are to be valued.

If say they could fetch only £100 each then they are of little interest to the insurance company , if they are worth say £4,000+ each then they are probably worth more than the hut they are sat in !

If they were to be worth £4,000+ each the ATC may well decide to return them to the RAF as they are currently at risk from theft or fire in the hut they are in.

regards Paul

Comment

Well, then I'd suggest that you visit Bob Gardner's site, www.aeroclocks.com and compare your propeller to similar ones that he has for sale. That should at least give you a rough idea. Propellers in original condition typically are worth more than ones that have been restored or refinished.

From the description, they clearly are going to be a little closer to the 4000 GBP than the 100 GBP.
        Dave

Comment

Dave

Yes I visited Bobs site and only found the SE5 , but when I click on that it does then show a BE2 ? that is not in the main listing.

On this forum you do ask for pictures , should I try and take some of the hubs for you ?

regards Paul

Comment

I have just added a prop to my website from the BE2A and BE2B priced at £4600 gbp, but you should not equate this too closely to your BE2C prop.
            Only fifteen BE2A's were made and eighty five BE2B's, compared with 1300 BE2C's.

If both your props are four bladed then their value at auction will be £1500 to £2000 gbp. Prices at auction can be variable. If two enthusiasts bid against each other, the price could reach £2500 gbp, although this doesn't happen too often. You will be charged a selling commission by the auctioneer which will be around 12%, about £180 gbp if the prop were to sell for £1500 gbp.

Props that have hung on a wall for decades become dry and start to delaminate. This is often the case with props from hotels, clubrooms and the ATC. Often they have been given a coat of paint to brighten them up. These factors can reduce the value at auction from £1500 towards £1000.

The commercial value of a restored BE2C prop offered by a dealer like me is around £3500-£4000. Thus you have two values for your prop; at auction it would fetch £1000-£1500. Sold by a dealer who has restored it, it would fetch say £3500.

When your prop is insured, you can expect your insurance company to pay you quickly in the event of loss so that you can immediately replace it as soon as possible. BE2 props of any type are rare. I see one or two a year. Therefore you could explain to your insurer that you might have to buy a restored one from a dealer in order to replace the loss within a reasonable time. But you would need to explain and explore this with the insurance company now, not after the loss. Several British insurance companies have 'new for old' clauses, which might also cover the concept of a restored prop to replace an unrestored one.

With regards,

Bob
            Bob Gardner
            Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
            http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Working...
            X