Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ID WO1 propeller

hi Guys

Can Anyone help me identifying the following propeller? I can't tell you much about the history but there was a plane crash around WO1 near Mol (Belgium), in the channel Dessel-Schoten. the propeller is about 230/240cm long and 14cm thick.

There is no data stamped on the propeller.

if you need more info or photo's, I can send them.

I'm looking forward to your comments.

kind regards
    Attached Files

It's nearly impossible to identify any propeller that has no markings on it.

I will note that it's a left hand thread, which is opposite the rotation of most of the early aircraft engines. A few engines were geared, which required a left hand thread. The other explanation can be a pusher configuration using one of the common engines, so the thread direction is reversed.

Comment

Hi,

From prop shape and shielding shape, it have to be largely later than WO1 OR not european. Just an impression!

Regards,
      PM

Comment

Good Afternoon Jasper,

Thank you for your email. I am answering it here so that other forumites can read it.

You haven't given us much to go on. The data stamped on a propeller is essential when trying to identify it. But there are one or two clues which help.

The brass sheathing on the leading edge of the prop suggests that it is from a seaplane, where it protected the blade against water and FOD thrown up by the floats of the aircraft.

I have recorded 973 German WKI aircraft propellers, most of which have diameters from around 2700mm to 3200mm. Two have diameters of 2400mm and both are Imperial German Navy seaplanes; the Hansa Brandenburg W20 and the LFG W. The W20 prop was made by Rahtjen for the 80ps Oberursel engine which suggests a small and light seaplane.

You mention that the aircraft came down on the Dessel-Schoten Kanaal, which runs through Flanders to Antwerp. This might suggest it was a seaplane. Does the kanaal run in an area which was controlled by German forces in WKI ? I have just Googled the kanaal and it seems to be too narrow for an aircraft to alight.

The shape of the propeller is rather ungainly. Most WK1 German props had an elegance about them. So, as Pierre-Michel suggests above, it might not be German nor from WKI, although a few German makers produced props which looked similar, although much larger.

This research took two hours and did not produce a definitive answer so you should not regard it as more than a few straws blowing in the wind!

With kind regards,

Bob
        Last edited by Bob Gardner; 04-27-2019, 11:47 AM.
        Bob Gardner
        Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
        http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Working...
        X