propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• propeller

I have an old wooden propeller in a very good condition and wuold like to have some more information about it. The former owner and friend of mine, danish coronel of the allied forces, told me before his death that it was handcrafted in Sweden and belonged to the first airplane that reached Greenland. During many years it was decorating the messroom at the military base at Ivigtut - Grönnedal, until he received as a gift when he retired in 1967.

It would be interesting to find out if the story is true, to wich type of airplane it belonged, and approximate value of this propeller.

Carl J. Naucler - Granada, Spain

EDIT: Pictures move by moderator.

You're best bet is to post the information right here and have us all take a look. You can upload photos right into the post. See this link.

Sounds interesting.
    Dave

Comment

I think it will be very difficult to establish the information you are looking for. Propellers are very difficult to identify without the drawing numbers, and even then, it can be hard to find a reference that shows its use.

It might be more practical to research the plane involved and see if this propeller would fit that engine.

If specific historical use of any artifact like this can be proven, it increases the value tremendously, but without that provenance it's just another pretty display item.
      Dave

Comment

there is a number stamped in the wood, not very clear, but it seems to be 31780. Can that help?

Comment

That's probably a serial number rather than a drawing number, but I'll look through some files and see if it matches anything. I suspect that it will not, however.
          Dave

Comment

Greenland

The Swedish pioneer pilot Albin Ahrenberg, did fly to Greenland in 1931 to rescue an english man that spent the whole winter there on his own, the plane was a Junkers, (F13?) on floats and skiis. I have his memoars at my summer house, so I have no data on engine right now. Albin tryed to fly to America in 1929, and reched Greenland also with a Junkers, but the engine was giving problems all the way, oil was leaking into the engine by the fuelpump, they had about all problems on this attempt as you can imagen. The 1931 flight was very problem free, and you can guess he wanted to continuo to America after the English man was found and safe, but it was not his project or airplane.

Jan Carlsson
            www.jcpropellerdesign.com

Comment

Thanks Jan,

As you can see under the topic GREENLAND PROPELLER, I alredy found out about Ahrenberg's flight and as it seems to match quite well the story about the prop I am trying to investigate in that direction. Deutsches Museum have a Junkers L5 engine but with no fittings for the prop and they can not help me. Have also sent mails to Junkers and to Dansk Veteranflysamling (where they have a spare prop for Ahrenberg's plane!), but still no answer. I'll write them again!

I was aware of the difficulties of identification of an old propeller, specially as there are no markings on it, but I did'nt expect any complication in confirming the possible procedence from a given aicraft or engine!

Regards, Carl

Comment

Greenland

I re-read some of the book about Albin Ahrenberg, the 1929 plane had a Junkers engine with wooden propeller, the 1931 plane had a metal propeller.

Comment

Due to problems with infonegocio.com I haven't been able to check my mail for two months, have now changed to a gmail account. If anybody have sent me a note, please try again!

Carl J. Nauclér

Comment

Working...
                  X