Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help to identify please

Hi
    Firstly, how brilliant to find such a useful site, the internet is amazing. Thank you for taking the time to share your interest and knowledge.

Second.
    I have just 'won' a wooden propellor on ebay. I appreciate it is quite small but I wonder if you guys can have any idea of its origin.

There is stamping on it apparently (I havnt received it yet) of 14938RS.

Heres the link

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=320011676059

Whilst it would be amazing to have a piece of history, I dont mind if it isn't. I love aviation related items and love the shape and significance of propellors so happy to give it a good home whatever it is!

Thanks

Simon

Simon,
    I think it's too short to have been used as is on any conventional airplane. On the other hand, the hub looks large and consistent with some kind of aviation hub, so it's possible that it was damaged and the ends trimmed symetrically, which was fairly common. When you get it, look closely at the ends then look at this diagram to get a sense of how the thickness varied along the length of the blade.

Most WW1 British propellers had much more information stamped on the hub, usually leading to accurate identification.
    Dave

Comment

Hi Simon,

The prop certainly looks very much like a cut down British WW1 prop. The hub has a British look and eighteen inches added to each blade would give an eight foot diameter, which would be the correct length.

As Dave Bahnson says, these props were often cut down, either because of damage to the tips or somtimes just to carry them home from the war!

When you get it home study the sides of the hub and the front and back of the hub carefully for any lettering or traces of lettering. Also take some detailed photos and post them here and we might be able to identify it.

Buying it for thirty quid was a bargain.

With regards,

Bob Gardner
      www.aeroclocks.com
      Bob Gardner
      Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
      http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Thank you Bob and Dave. Its a bit of trouble now as the seller has refused to sell it because she 'forgot' to put a reserve on it. I dont know how much she thinks its worth (nor how much it is worth), but I feel a bit cheated.

Ill update when I reach a conclusion.

Thanks again

Simon

Comment

I would make it clear to her that the negative feedback you'll provide as a high bidder just isn't worth it (which it isn't), and leave it at that. I don't have much patience for these eBay sellers that change their minds after the auction closes.
          Dave

Comment

Working...
          X