Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paragon Propeller

Hello,

A pilot that I was flying with this week told me about this site. Fantastic!

Here are some images of the Paragon Propeller that my wife purchased for me from an Estate Sale:

Any information about this propeller's history would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ray

I can't find a listing with that drawing number, but that's not particularly unusual. I would suggest looking up the hub dimensions to see what engine it might have beens desingned for. I'm guessing an OX 5. Go to http://www.woodenpropeller.com/Hubmeasure.html and follow the links to the chart.

Some propellers are impossible to identify. This may be post WW1 vintage.
    Dave

Comment

I have a Paragon propeller that was manufactured in Baltimore about 1912-1914. It was made as a rear mount, similar to those on the Wright flyer, only with a slightly different blade shape. The Paragon logo is visible on both blade ends on both sides. I have also used one picture as my avatar here.
      It is in very good shape with just some minor cracks on the blade ends. I have kept it waxed with bees wax as recommended.
      I would like to get a written appraisal by a certified appraiser. I would like to sell it but I have no idea of its worth, since I haven't seen anything similar for sale. This is why I would like to get a written appraisal. Any idea how I could find such an appraiser who would specialize in old airplanes/parts? I have tons of pictures, which I can send to the appraiser or post here.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Comment

Also wondering if there are any auction houses that would handle something like this -- old mechanical things?

Comment

I don't think there is such a thing as a "qualified" appraiser" for these items, partly because I don't know who would issue such a qualification and mostly because the sales of identical or similar items are so limited that there isn't a real database to go by. You can get an "idea" of current value by discussions here, but that hardly qualifies as an appraisal, particularly considering that different elements may be at play in coming up with a number. If you want to explore that option, just post pictures here.

On another note, how do you know that it was a "rear mount"? Airfoils are not specific for tractor or pusher application, but the thread rotation is specific for whatever engine was used, and some rotated clockwise and some rotated counter clockwise.

Also, how would you date it to 1912 to 1914? There were 25,000 propellers manufactured in Baltimore between 1912 and 1918, and some more were manufactured after that date as well. To my knowledge there is no way of dating them beyond assuming that they were manufactured sometime in that period.

Comment

HI Ray, I may be interested in a purchase. I can be reached at msprior02@gmail.com.
            Thanks, Scott

Comment

This propeller came from my husband’s family, from an engineer who worked for Bendix Aviation in South Bend, Indiana. He acquired it when the museum was dismantled due to building expansion on the campus.
              Rear mount & approximate date of manufacture:
              It can only be a rear mount because of the mounting hole size and no hub mounting hardware holes. Also its size and weight are similar to those in the early Wright flyers. The fact that the logo states “Paragon” & “Baltimore, Maryland U.S.A.” proves it was made after APMC moved to Baltimore in 1912. By the time WW1 broke out in 1914, the design of the rear mount propellers on the Wright Flyer machines were obsolete and replaced with a single front mount prop. The years between 1912 and 1920 advanced historically quickly to produce efficient flying machines, and the rear mount Wright Flyer soon became obsolete.

Dimensions: Length: 104 in. Blade width: 10” widest, Hub width: 5” Weight: 10lb. 6 oz. Hole Diam: 5/8-3/4”
              You mentioned "thread rotation" - There are no threads on the inside of the mounting hole. This is consistent to the way the propellers functioned on the rear driven Wright Flyers - see black & white picture. (1)"
              A sprocket chain drive, borrowing from bicycle technology, powered the twin propellers, which were also made by hand.[3] In order to avoid the risk of torque effects from affecting the aircraft handling, one drive chain was crossed over so that the propellers rotated in opposite directions."
              All the Paragon logos I’ve seen include the words “American Propeller Manufacturing Company”. For some reason these words do not appear on my prop.
              I have more pics but don't want to overload this post. Please let me know if you would like to see more detailed pictures.

There are cracks on the concave side of both ends that do not extend through to the convex side. Paragon logos are in 4 places on each side of the blade, some in better shape than others.

(1) Wikipedia, "Wright Flyer, Design and Construction"
              . DSCN4118.jpgdownload.jpgIMG_2212.jpgIMG_2214.jpgIMG_2210.jpg
              Last edited by LGranat; 11-08-2021, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Well, I think you are correct about a pusher application, mostly because it's a left hand thread which often (but not always) corresponds to a rear mounted engine.

Comment

LGranat, please see my private message to you. (Click on "Messages" in the upper right of the page.)

Comment

Working...
                  X