Databases of WW1 propellers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Bob,
    Do you also have a database of U.S. made WW1 aircraft props? My Grandfather made many props for the Government during WW1. I would love to learn more of the History.
    Thanks!

Comment

Steve,

I don't! Only British and German WW1 props. But Dave Bahnson, who founded this site, is the expert on American props. I'll copy this post to a more public page in the forum, as others might also have some advice.

With kind regards,

Bob
      Bob Gardner
      Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
      http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Hi Bob,

I would be very interested in a copy of your database when it is available. Do you have a publication date in mind yet?

Best Regards

Joe Marsden

Comment

Joe,

About a month or two. I should think.

Bob
          Bob Gardner

Comment

Hello Bob,

How about Part 3 of the German Propeller serie?

Is it going to be released anytime soon?

Best Regards,

Comment

Greetings FDM,

It's nearly complete. I plan to finish it over the Christmas and New Year quiet period. But proof reading by a German friend will take a month and printing and publishing will take up to two months, so the answer is in the Spring. (I laugh inwardly as I write this, because here in Yorkshire, England the ambient temperature is 60 degrees F and our daffodils are coming out; in other words Spring has already arrived, courtesy of global warming!) So April-May 2016.

With Christmas greetings to all forumites!

Bob
              Bob Gardner

Comment

Thank you Bob! I am so sorry for my late reply. I have been planning to make some pictures of the prop but I had to get it out of storage first and well, time went by. Thank you again for your reply, really dont want to be the guy who comes ask for information, then disappears.

At last, the pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gardner View Post
                  A note to my fellow forumites to let you know that in the next twelve months I shall publish in spread-sheet format on CD;

1. My database on German WW1 aircraft propellers, about 1000 lines of data describing maker, diameter and pitch, engine and aircraft type where known.

2. And my database of British WW1 aircraft props, which runs to about 2000 lines of data.

If you have a British or German WW1 prop that you have not told me about (many of you have for which I am most grateful) or if you have any documents from the time which list propellers, please let me know.

With kind regards,

Bob

Dave; could you make this a sticky please.
                  Hello Bob, Does yor database include props made by S&S Aircraft in Winnipeg, Canada?
                  If not do you know who would?

Comment

Sopwith Dolphin

Bob
                    I have a prop marked:

L 3610 LH

200HP HISPANO SUIZA

D2590 P2180

Sopwith Dolphin

Note: I also have the cowlings!

Kind regards
                    Guy

Comment

Jntegral Propellor Mercedes 100hp

Bob:

Good morning from Ramstein Air Base, Germany! I have recently purchased a WWI German propeller...wondered if by chance you might be interested in including it in your database. Here’s the info from the hub:

Jntegral Propellor
                      N7982
                      D270 S145
                      100PS MERC6CYL

I believe this to be a prototype for the D I or D II, as my understanding is the production Mercedes engines had either 180 or 200 hp engines. Your thoughts? Here are a couple of photos...if you’re interested, I can get a better overall photo after the stand is ready.

Cheers, and thanks in advance!

Rick Moore
                      Ramstein AB, Germany

P.S. A couple of pictures as soon as I figure out how to post them!
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by rgmoorejr; 07-03-2018, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rgmoorejr View Post

P.S. A couple of pictures as soon as I figure out how to post them!
                        Click the "Edit" button on the bottom of your post, scroll down, then follow the steps in the attachment to this page. If that doesn't work it's probably because the file is too large. If that's the case you can mail them to dbahnson "at" gmail.com and I'll process them for you.

(Large files may need to be sent one or two at a time.)
                        Attached Files

Comment

Rick,

Welcome to the forum.

Your prop is for a German aircraft designed early in WW1 and the serial number is also from early in WW1. I have recorded only one other with your dimensions and engine, 7504. It was succeeded by a prop with a slightly larger pitch, 1500 mm.

It probably dates from 1915 and was used on the LVG BIII, the Alb BII and the Alb Doppeldecker (which probably refers to the Alb BII).

The Mercedes engine for the Flying Troops began life around 1913 in four cylinder form producing 70hp which quickly became a six cylinder of 100ps, for which your prop was made. This was soon developed to produce 120ps.

With kind regards,

Bob
                          Last edited by Bob Gardner; 07-04-2018, 04:43 AM.
                          Bob Gardner

Comment

Oops !

My brain went off on a tangent, so my reply about the Heine decal was entirely wrong!

Bob
                            Last edited by Bob Gardner; 07-04-2018, 04:54 AM. Reason: Erasing an error I made, Bob!

Comment

Yup...pictures of my Jntegral propeller uploaded. It has the standard Integral sunburst logo with "JPW" in the center. I believe this was for Jntegral Propellerworks.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gardner View Post
                                Rick,

Welcome to the forum.

Your prop is for a German aircraft designed early in WW1 and the serial number is also from early in WW1. I have recorded only one other with your dimensions and engine, 7504. It was succeeded by a prop with a slightly larger pitch, 1500 mm.

It probably dates from 1915 and was used on the LVG BIII, the Alb BII and the Alb Doppeldecker (which probably refers to the Alb BII).

The Mercedes engine for the Flying Troops began life around 1913 in four cylinder form producing 70hp which quickly became a six cylinder of 100ps, for which your prop was made. This was soon developed to produce 120ps.

With kind regards,

Bob
                                Thanks, Bob!!! So very happy to have your insights.

Is your e-database available yet?

Again, thanks, and cheers,
                                Rick
                                Last edited by Bob Gardner; 07-04-2018, 04:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X