US Propellers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Propellers?

I ran across your site yesterday and found it facinating. I'm hoping someone can help me ID a prop I've had for about 30 years. My wife's parents were both pilots in the '60s, and passed it on. They purchased it as a decoration, with a clock mounted in the hub. Here is the information contained on the prop:
    US Propellers, Inc.
    DES 76FGS64
    SER 10557
    RPM 2200
    HP 115
    TC 787
    A decal on the blade shows a blue circle with a 5 point red star in it, with a small circle at the center of the star with "US" in it. "US Propellers" is displayed above the large circle, with "Los Angeles, Calif" below.

Any assistance would be much appreciated. I tried looking for US Propellers with no luck. Thanks.

US Propellers mostly made propellers for unmanned or drone aircraft. They did make a few for manned aircraft. Unfortunately, I've so far been unable to locate any details about them.

Making the assumption the 76 beginning the design number meant the prop diameter as some other prop makers did, I looked for any 76 inch props for 115 horsepower engines. None seem to exist in the information I have.

If you would take the hub measurments as shown on Dave's web page at (http://www.woodenpropeller.com/Hubmeasure.html and post them here or email them to me I'll attempt to locate the engine and perhaps the plane that way.

Lamar

Comment

I have an FAA book listing that propeller (although the listing is not of specific aircraft) which gives its dimensions. What's unusual is a footnote that reads:

"Serial nos 1000 to 10731, inclusive, are not approved. Propellers bearing these serial numbers have a 3 1/4" bore and eight 7/16' diameter bolts on a 5 1/4" diameter bolt circle and many of them were inadvertently stamped "T.C. 787" prior to delivery to the Army for use on the Interstate L-6 airplane equipped with the Kinner No. 8031 hub."

Another footnote relating to the 76FSGA64 propeller indicates that it had only four bolt holes, but was also delivered for use on the Interstate L-6 aircraft.

It would be interesting to know how many bolt holes your propeller has, but I would say that it was almost certainly intended to be used on the Interstate L-6, but that because of the manufacturing glitch it was never approved and ended up as a display propeller (along with 730 others) on that basis.

Interesting.

EDIT: Flitetester, I moved your post to this category. I apologize for the mistake, and actually I failed to restrict the posting rules in the Announcements categories, which is why your post appeared there without registering. Please go ahead and register, which will be necessary to post any replies or additional questions. I'm interested in how many bolt holes are drilled in your propeller hub.

Dave
      Dave

Comment

I'm interested, too. I love to learn new stuff on wooden props. Thanks Dave!

Comment

All,
          I'm surprised at the quick replies. Based on everyone's questions, I can tell you that:

- The diameter is, indeed, 76 in.
          - There are 8 bolt holes in the hub

As far as hub info, I will measure tonight and get back with you.

Flitetester

Comment

I measured the hub on my US Propeller. Here are the dimensions (I hope it helps someone ID it):

Bolt hole circle - 5 1/4"
            Hub Diameter (rear) - 9 3/4"
            Thickness of Hub (Ft to Back) - 4 1/4"
            Hub Center hole diameter - Ft - 3 1/4" Back - 3 1/2"
            8 Bolt Holes

Flitetester

Comment

I think this is as close as you'll get:

"Serial nos 1000 to 10731, inclusive, are not approved. Propellers bearing these serial numbers have a 3 1/4" bore and eight 7/16' diameter bolts on a 5 1/4" diameter bolt circle and many of them were inadvertently stamped "T.C. 787" prior to delivery to the Army for use on the Interstate L-6 airplane equipped with the Kinner No. 8031 hub."

That description fits yours exactly, and even includes your serial number. I would say with a 99% certainty that it was intended for use on an Interstate L6 airplane, but was actually a production flaw so it was never certified.
              Dave

Comment

Hi Flitetester, I'd be very happy and generous to purchase the prop from you. I have the only remaining authentic and flying L-6 and have become a repository for everything related with the airplane. Please let me know what condition it is in. Possibly I could get a few photos? There's some good money in it. Thanks.

Comment

Hi cherskyaircrafters- I jas would like to know what came about your offer, interstate L6 aircraft propeller from flitetester. please respond 730 made.

Comment

1937 US Propeller

HI I am restoring a wooden "US Propeller" from a 1937 Super Cub. Does anyone one know where I might obtain two 'US Propeller' logo's to replace the ones one my prop?

Thanks
                    D Headley
                    Del Mar College

Comment

Originally posted by ch47dr View Post
                      HI I am restoring a wooden "US Propeller" from a 1937 Super Cub. Does anyone one know where I might obtain two 'US Propeller' logo's to replace the ones one my prop?

Thanks
                      D Headley
                      Del Mar College
                      Is this propeller DES. 76fgs64

Comment

Working...
                      X