Can You ID this old Prop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can You ID this old Prop?

I'm new to the forum, and joined because I inherited an old prop from my father and like to know its history. Supposedly it is pre-WWII, but that's all I know. Here are some specs: overall length - 102 3/8", max blade width - 7 3/4", hub center hole - 2.5", mounting hole pattern/dia - 8 holes on 5 1/4' circle drill pattern. Various stampings: "ATC 8", "RPM 1450", "T 2077"; decal on each blade - "SUPREME".

Photos at: http://woodenpropeller.com/forumvB/album.php?albumid=84

Thanks for any help you can provide on its identity! Tim

To my knowledge there is no listing of Stone propellers and their applications. The 5 1/4" bolt hole circle certainly suggests an OX5 hub and engine.

There was a fellow (Richard Davis) in Savannah, Georgia, who had done a lot of research of the company but never found a listing of models. He may still be around but I haven't been in touch with him for many, many years.

Comment

Thanks

Have never heard of Stone. Do you have any idea of the potential time period they manufactured props? My Dad received his pilot certificate at the age of 16 (Aug 1939), so he was hanging around the airport washing planes for money/lessons. So, I'm thinking someone gave him the prop after it was damaged. Maybe the prop is from the 30's.

Thanks again for your comments. Tim

Comment

I think they started early (i.e. WW1 era) as simply Stone Propellers and then evolved into Stone Supreme later on. I know the company was formed by a number of brothers. I have some old information on the company but probably won't be able to dig it out for at least a few days and maybe longer.

Despite the rough condition of parts of the propeller, it's in your best interest to not try to "restore" it. It's virtually always more valuable in its original condition, however unsightly it may seem at first.

Comment

Understand about restoration. I've had it for years, and haven't lifted a finger to clean it up. I rather like the old and worn look; you know it was used at one time, and I try to envision the machine it was pulling through the air!

Thanks again for your comments. Tim

Comment

Working...
          X