Sensenich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sensenich

I was hanging my old prop on the living room wall and I decided to search its history before us.

It came off Daddys old Cub. He and I flew all the time. It was most fun when I was old enough to finally see out the window.

Its your standard 6ft Sensenich Bros. wood prop with 6 bolt holes.

BUT- my prop has no serial number & no stampings. What is that about?

Thanks to anybody if they could help with my mystery,
    ~Ann

ps. I could take it down, knock some dust off and take a picture if needed.

It would be unusual to have an airworthy prop for a Cub that didn't have data stamped on the hub. Does it look like it's been refinished some time ago?
    Dave

Comment

It came off the Cub and not the Citabria, must have. It was in the hangar, a barn and then a shed for a few years but basically I have had this prop in my possession since it was taken off the plane.

It crossed my mind that there may be props out there sold as nick nacks or the like & for those there may not be a serial number. But Daddy aint one for nick nacks.

The finish is old and wrinkled. Years ago I thought about refinishing it and I scrubbed a little on the edge to see how the wood would look and it is nice and aged. Here too I found the edge is brass. The wood is trying to split away at the hub so I fixed it up for a minute with some cure all duck tape. There are some fabric threads starting to show. I am going leave her as is and not refinish it for that would remove all her character.

While I was taking pictures of the prop to show yall I notice a few yellow scuffs around the hub. I took a picture that shows it. I beleive the yellow marks on the hub are standard Yellow Cub paint.

The old log books reveal no date of prop change. But I know we had one after the tire episode on either the Cub or the Citabria. We had a flat & Daddy didnt put the tire back on too good. So he took off and saw the tire rolling right off into the maze field. He tried to note where it went but it still took us forever to find it. He landed by holding her up on one side & he did pull off a three point landing. One tire, a tail wheel and the prop. I dont remember the immediate prop status but it didnt look right after that.

Maybe some paint got on the prop that way and also there are dents in the end of the prop but there are any number of reasons why those are there.

I appreciate all yalls help on any history you may know of. I dont much care of its dollar value but its interesting to know. The memory value on this prop is the main thing. If you factor that, hell Im rich.

Thank you, Ann Jamison

Stand by while I figure out how to post the pictures.

Comment

Prop Pictures

Piper Cub hub. There are yellow scuffs here and on the other side.
        (Pardon my temporary tape)

Hub
        http://www.filehigh.com/serve/14717/122448.jpg

Full prop view-
        http://www.filehigh.com/serve/14717/122449.jpg

Half prop view-
        http://www.filehigh.com/serve/14717/122450.jpg

Logo-
        http://www.filehigh.com/serve/14717/122451.jpg

Back of prop
        http://www.filehigh.com/serve/14717/122452.jpg

Comment

The Cub was a J3, by the way.

The prop could have come off of an old Aeronca Champ. Daddy tells me that he had one before I was born and paid $385 for it. He tells me that the prop was indeed in the barn a long time. I wonder.

But still the bottom line is that this prop does not have a serial number.

I sent him a link to this post and he cleared up some facts for me. He told me that he believes the Cub had a metal prop for the "crack-up". And the Citabria had a metal prop till he sold it. I know he is right as it was a newer aircraft.

Comment

I don't think I've ever heard of an airworthy Sensenich prop without stampings. I'm sure you have done so but I'll ask anyway: have you checked the sides of the hub?

Lamar

Comment

Unbelieveable

Originally posted by MWP_Lamar
              I'm sure you have done so but I'll ask anyway: have you checked the sides of the hub?
              Lamar- Do you know how much I appreciate you right now? Thank you for not believing in me, sort of. No really!

I found the number -BAM- right there on the side of the hub.

Lamar, I looked under a light, with a flash light and in the sunlight. I swear and emphatically insist to (+/-) a 100 looks at this very hub with no result. I gave up and thought it must be a display model.

This morning I guess I had lucky-light that hit just-right. I saw a number only as I was putting the prop down. When I looked away it was hard to find the number again. I wonder if I would have, this time, seen these numbers when I was acutally looking for them (again).

I can make out the end of the bottom number. A 5 or a 3 and two 1's or not likely M. The top starts with M, I think.

Sanding is absolutely wrong I DO NOT want to lose these numbers again. Should a varnish remover be used? I like my prop just like it is all wrinkled up and rough looking. I quess I will have to sacrifice this spot.

Please advise -

Comment

Don't alter the area just to see the number. Try turpentine or linseed oil, get a magnifying glass, and have someone shine a light from all kinds of various angles. You at least ought to be able to see possible combinations that make sense based on what other information you know about the propeller. For instance, if it's 72 inches long, expect to find a 72 as a prefix, then look at Lamar's lists to see what other numbers and digits might go with it.

It might even be worth trying a UV light to see if that highlights it. Basically, keep doing what you've already tried, i.e. manipulating light until enough contrast shows something that makes sense.
                Dave

Comment

Last week I received additional info on Sensenich props from a copy of a January 1, 1942 catalog. I have not yet updated my web page but will as soon as I can. If you get possible number combinations as Dave suggests before I get my updates posted to my web page, post them here and I’ll look through this “new” list to see what I can find.

I agree with Dave 100% – I strongly discourage you from altering the area to see the numbers. Other than Dave’s tutorial on preservation http://www.woodenpropeller.com/preservation.html I strongly discourage anyone from altering wooden props from their original condition anyway.

Comment

Working...
                  X