A Couple of Early Prop Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Couple of Early Prop Questions

I have 2 Paragon props, one is all wood, the other has the copper leading edges. The all wood prop is in original condition, and the copper clad prop has been re-conditioned (not very well done, heavily sanded, some markings gone or hard to see). The reconditioned props markings are similar to the close up you have here on the forum, I can make out the "right hand, length and pitch, and 4 digit number". The other side of the hub has a "SC number and 1 circle with the AID C2 inside". The un-restored prop has 2 of the circles and 3 small rectangle stamps, it does not have an SC number. So, is there any significance in the lack on a Signal Corps number? Does anyone know if the circles and rectangle stamps are from the manufacturer, or possibly later inspection stamps? Also, the un-restored prop has a very small stamp that looks like it is on your as well, I can't make out the first several letters but appears to end in "MOND". Any idea?

I also have a Hamilton Aero prop, very similar to the one listed on ebay right now. Other than the hub diameter (8 inches) all the measurements point to an OX5 engine, does anyone know what type aircraft these were used on?
    Thanks, Dave

How do you know that they are Paragon props? If they've been restored and the decals are gone, are there stampings to indicate the manufacturer?

Maybe posting some pictures would help, I'm not sure.

The absence of an "S.C" number isn't all that unusual.
    Dave

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply, the un-restored prop still has legible decals, The "restored" prop looks exactly the same except the fact that there are no decals and it does have copper leading edges, so I suppose it could be a replica, but as I said, it does have the same dimensions, the one oddity, someone also drilled 8 extra holes in a larger diameter than the 8 "original" bolt holes. Dave

Also, I'm traveling for a few more days, I can send some photos when I get home.
      Last edited by daveb767; 03-13-2010, 10:11 AM. Reason: Addition

Comment

Dave,
        I have attached a picture of both of my props, since one had already been restored, I elected to redo it. I am assuming it is a Paragon as the numbers that I could read were very similar to my un-restored prop. Also, on the back side of the blades, both props have identical sets of filled in holes, I assume these are from small nails or pins to hold the laminations together? As you can see, someone along the line drilled an extra set of holes in the hub. I assume to mount on a larger hub.

Back to my original question about the circle and rectangle stamps, do you know if they are from the manufacturer, or later inspection stamps? I also have a Hamilton Aero prop that from the center hole and bolts, indicates an OX-5, it also has a 6 inch indentation from a pressure plate on the face of the prop, I was hoping you might know what aircraft these were used on. Thanks, Dave B
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X