Wooden Prop from Germany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wooden Prop from Germany

Hi all and greetings from Berlin, Germany.

I actually re-found around half of a propeller, we found around 20 years ago in the garage of my grandfather. It belonged to his father, who worked as a director for Junkers in the 30s and first half of 40s, up to the day, when the sovjets decided that he should change his profession. My grandfather told me, that the prop was cut, to trade some food in the times after war with a carpenter.

It would be great, if you could help me to identify this nearly only piece of my family's history.

To the prop:

-It seems to be 8 layers of wood, the thinner once are darkened
    - the stamps say: N 7975 ; D 214 ; 60 PS ; St. & C ; Circeled "J"
    - 1/2 length (from the middle) is: 40,5 inch (103cm), so it should have been 81 inch (206 cm) when it was complete, the hub is 4,3 inch (11cm) thick
    - weired Detail: there is a tiny hole, with a piece of metal in it, too small for a regular projectile

Thanks for reading, your time and maybe help.

Best wishes, Sebastian
    Attached Files

All I can tell you is that it was for a 60 HP motor and that the manufacturer was probably A.Steininger and Company, stamped similarly on this propeller. According to Bob Gardner's book "Steininger and Cie" used the trademark "Astra".

Hopefully Bob Gardner will at some point see this thread and be able to add more information.

Comment

Originally posted by Dbahnson View Post
      All I can tell you is that it was for a 60 HP motor and that the manufacturer was probably A.Steininger and Company, stamped similarly on this propeller. According to Bob Gardner's book "Steininger and Cie" used the trademark "Astra".

Hopefully Bob Gardner will at some point see this thread and be able to add more information.
      Thank you, for your fast response. The linked propeller really looks like its the same way built, yet its another type.

Comment

Because of your 60 HP Hint: there was just two planes with motors with that capacity from Junkers: https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junkers_A_50 and the https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junkers_K_16 Maybe the prop belonged to one of them

Comment

Hi,

It seems it had a 6 holes hub later transformed for a Rupp quick fastener? Like this one: http://woodenpropeller.com/forumvB/showthread.php?t=591 ?

Regards,
          PM

Comment

Originally posted by pmdec View Post
            Hi,

It seems it had a 6 holes hub later transformed for a Rupp quick fastener? Like this one: http://woodenpropeller.com/forumvB/showthread.php?t=591 ?

Regards,
            PM
            Right, the former holes seems to be closed. Why did they do that?
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Junker View Post
              Right, the former holes seems to be closed. Why did they do that?
              The Rupp fastener was a quick-disconnect device that allowed the prop to be easily removed/installed on the hub. This prop was likely just converted from one hub style to the other.

This prop may be older than the ones suggested on your links. I think the possibilities go beyond just Junkers models and might apply to a whole variety of other models.

Comment

Ah, ok. That's really interesting. Earlier means, that it could be manufactured before 1920? Unfortunately my grandfather can't add any further informations, so that we always thought it has to be from a Junkers model, because of his fathers job.

Nevertheless I'll restore the lost half and make it part of our furniture.

Thank you very much for your help and this forum-project. That's really an important data-base for informations that would be lost.

Comment

Working...
                X