Wooden Prop Plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wooden Prop Plans

My 16-year-old son wants to make a 72" wooden propeller to enter in a woodworking contest, and later display in his room. We understand the basic process of laminating a stack of 3/4" rough-cut wooden blanks, making a metal hub, then doing all the carving/polishing/finishing work. What we haven't been able to find is a set of templates for the blanks. If anyone knows of a source for that, we'd appreciate it. Thanks.

You could use this one, and I have some drawings of a SPAD propeller that might work as well.
    Dave

Comment

Wooden Prop Plans

Yes, we'd been looking at the blueprint at http://www.woodenpropeller.com/blueprint.jpg. We figured we could just scale it to the size we want. I can sort of guess what the shape would be on the finished propeller, but what we've seen and like a lot is the Sopwith Pup propeller (funny, since that's the one in your signature).

Do you have the SPAD prop plans in electronic form, or just hardcopy? I'd be curious to see them, but don't want to put you to any trouble.

Thanks.

Comment

It's just hardcopy, and it's bigger than will fit on my scanner, so I need to scan it at work and reduce the size. This is part of it, but shows basically what it looks like.

Dave

Comment

Hi Dave,

I would be very interested in the scans of the prop plan as well.

I was asked to volunteer, at the local aviation museum, to make two display props. I have carved smaller examples in the past but would like to make sure I'm on the right track. With the cost of hard wood being what it is I can't afford to make an error.

I would be more than happy to convert / re-draw the plan in corel, DXF or PDF format and post it back if that would help

Here is a link to the museum page

Thanks,
          Bill

Comment

I'll be back at my house in a few days and get to work on scanning it and then either emailing or regular mailing it to you. There are quite a few requests for this kind of drawing and not much available anywhere I've found, so it would be worthwhile getting something published on the web.
            Dave

Comment

Chall,

I have a file of SPAD propeller photos if that helps your project. Let me know where to send them

RSloop
              rsloop@gmail.com

Comment

Prop Plans

Hi Dave,

I have the four footer, for the museum, about half done. I'm just winging it but the shape and twist appear to be visually correct. Since this prop is for display only I just have to get it close.

Any progress with the scans yet? I'll draw the plans in vector format as soon as I get a look at your scans. Usable templates might be a help to the folks.

Regards,
                Bill

Comment

I tried to copy them on our office copier but I think they are too long for the copier. I might just try to photograph them on a copy stand and send you the images.
                  Dave

Comment

Hi Dave,

I was able to carve the prop for the museum display using a profile drawing that I sketched and a lot of time with hand planes and a rasp. Actually came out rather nice.

Here is a link to a photo
                    http://www.woodcentral.com/content/v.../pic291581.jpg

If that one doesn't work here is a backup.
                    http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/m...pl?read=291581

If you ever get the copies of the plans let me know. I'll re-draw them.

Regards,
                    Bill

Comment

Propeller Plans

Howdy,
                      I'm kind of new to this forum. I was wondering if anybody had any plans for a Airco DH1. I was planning on building one for a competition.
                      - Cal

Comment

I was wondering if anybody had any plans for a Airco DH1. I was planning on building one for a competition.
                        The whole plane or just the propeller?
                        Dave

Comment

Airco DH1

Howdy,
                          sorry i was unclear about that i just meant the propeller.
                          Cal

Comment

I don't have drawings for it (and actual blueprints for these seem to be very hard to find), but I do have an actual DH1 propeller.
                            Dave

Comment

PROPELLER PLANS

Howdy,
                              New to the forum, seems really great. I see all the posts in this thread are rather dated now, jsut wondering if anyone has a propeller plan ?

I would like to carve one as a gift for someone, and need a blueprint. I am open to most any vintage prop design.

I have found a few older pics of propeller construction - I see that variously shaped layers of wood are laminated together (in exact positions) to give the 'rough shape' of the propeller, and then the carving/shaping begins.

Does anyone have patterns for those 'layers' of wood ?

thanks, any input is appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                              X