Need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dave,

Thanks for your input. I don't see any decals on the blade. That is something that I had looked for when I was trying to identify earlier from your photos.

I just measured the hub and it is five inches thick. I don't know what a Liberty measures.

As far as the hub being chiseled out I'm not sure how to tell.

I would love to be able to see a picture of the type plane this propeller would have been on. It would be great to have a copy of the type plane framed and hanging on the wall with the prop.

Thanks again,
    Brenda

Comment

Check this chart to compare the hub dimensions to yours. The V12 Liberty engine should be 7 1/2 inches thick, so I'm guessing that the hub on yours is notched and that there is roughly 3 3/4 inches of flat hub remaining, which fills the 7 1/2 inches when two of them are stacked together.

From the photo, it looks like a pentagon has been notched in the hub.

Google "Curtiss H 16" and you'll see ONE of the possibilities, but by no means the only one.
      Attached Files
      Dave

Comment

Dave,

As before thank you for all of the information. I am anxious to do the research. I don't understand about the pentagon being notched in the hub. does that mean it was done at the time it was made or at a later date?

Thanks,
        Brenda

Comment

It was done by a previous owner, who somehow thought that a clock in the hub would add to its charm, which it doesn't.
          Dave

Comment

I agree with you It's a shame that it's original state has not been preserved. I'm afraid that to many old items have been changed due to people thinking it would make the item as you say add charm or make it more useful.

Thanks for all of your dedication and research on these old propellers.
            Thanks for all of your information and help that you have given my on our propeller. ( yes, I have changed from my husband's propeller to ours)

Thanks,
            Brenda

Comment

Working...
            X