new to this!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to this!

Recently purchased a wooden propeller and would appreciate your expertise in identifying it (manufacturer, year, type of aircraft, whatever).
    It is 10' 1/4" long, with 8" wide blades and is 2 3/4" thick at the hub.
    There are 8 bolts in the hub and the hub has a 1 1/8" ID.
    The number 8299 is stamped on the hub.
    Please see attached photos.
    Thank you!
    Attached Files

It's going to be hard to narrow down. The hub thickness of 2 3/4" is unusual and doesn't seem consistent with known certificated propellers. Sometimes you see that when two propellers are stacked to make a 4 blade combination, which in this case would then fit a 5 1/2" metal hub.

It looks to me as if there may have been damage to one or both tips, as typically they are not squared off like that. Can you post a close-up of the tips?

I'm just guessing that the number 8299 is a serial number, and does not help identify the propeller usage. Also just guessing, but the overall design looks as if it was made in the late twenties or early thirties.

Comment

Thank you for your help. It may be a few weeks before I can send a close up photo of the tips, but will do so as soon as possible. Thanks, again!

Comment

Photos of both tips - hopefully this helps - thanks again!
        Attached Files

Comment

I'm guessing, and it's just a guess, that the original tip or tips got damaged, then someone removed the metal sheathing and replaced it with new metal. On one of the photos it looks like you can see color change in the wood where original sheathing would have wrapped around the tip. Also, the rivetting doesn't look like what you'd typically see done by the manufacturer, nor does the sheathing at the truncated tip.

Comment

Working...
          X