Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1916 Curtiss S-1 Propellers

Hi to everyone!

I´m new in the forum and trying to identify the two types of propeller known to have been fitted to the Curtiss S-1 of 1916 (see the attached images). I need to draw them to scale, so their diameters are most important to me.
    Any advice from you will be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files

That's a difficult task. Are there any numbers stamped around the hub?

Comment

I can't see any numbers nor stamps when zooming the photos I have.
      Paragon apparently manufactured models similar to them.

Comment

Unfortunately, there were thousands of different models of propellers and many different models look almost exactly like other models. Even with data stamped on them, they can be very difficult to identify. There were 25,000 Paragon propellers manufactured before the end of WW1, and they continued for some time after that..

There seems to be a big difference in the two propellers pictured, the lower one more typical of an early, low powered engine. I'd have to do a little more research but there was also S1 actually a Mercury S1 from 1931. this page.

Is it possible that the photos are from different models altogether, both with an "S1" designation?

Comment

The Curtiss S-1 was a one-off prototype for a single seater fighter, some data on it is available on this website:

http://ivanpwheaton.blogspot.com/201...eed-scout.html

Apparently, it was formerly fitted with the low pitch propeller and later fitted with the high pitch one. With the later propeller, the plane was somehow damaged (see the attached images, all of them correspond to the same machine).
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X