Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish Air Corps Museum Props

Good morning Dave,
    We are asking for your help again with two more props in the museum. We would like to know what the dots on the SE 5 Prop represent and on the same prop are those black studs part of the prop proper.
    Finally on the BE2 Prop showing the decal has it been varnished/painted or is the finish as shown normal.
    Many thanks Dave for you assistance.
    Regards
    Tony K
    Attached Files

The dots look like dowels, to reinforce the laminations. You should see a corresponding set on the other side.

I don't think that the metal hub is original, and is probably decorative.

I would expect a decal to show the same varnish characteristics as the adjacent varnish. That one looks as if it's been added more recently. The varnish on the wood itself certainly looks original, though.
    Dave

Comment

Tony,

The dots are dowelling. After the laminations had been glued, British props had dowells inserted through the laminations, presumably to prevent creep. This was discontinued by 1918, so your prop probably pre-dates 1918. The other combatants of WW1 didn't find such reinforcement necessary.

That's a lovely curtailed decal. It exists in two forms. If you send me your e-mail address I'll send you an extract from one of my books which describes the maker.

With kind regards,

Bob
      Bob Gardner
      Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
      http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Thanks Dave and Bob for you help. PM sent, Bob
        Kind regards
        Tony K

Comment

Bob, what are your thoughts on the pristine appearing surface of the decal compared to the adjacent varnish, which shows signs of crinkling and color variation due to aging.
          Dave

Comment

Working...
          X