Confused!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused!!!

THIS PROP I HAVE HAS GARDNER STAMP-BUT NUMBERS DON'T SEEM TO MATCH UP-CAN ANYONE HELP ME SOLVE THIS MYSTERY???I'VE BEEN AT IT FOR HOURS!
    PT-17 AIRPLANE
    R-670-5-ENGINE
    220 H.P. AT 2075 RPM
    PART NO. 42K19593
    NPRS SER NO 43282

IT'S ABOUT 8FT OR SO-CHERRY COLORED WOOD-GARDNER STAMP, but no matching part nos. I'm lost- I think I want to sell it, but I'm not sure and I want to learn more about it first.
    Last edited by pollygirl; 07-21-2009, 12:56 AM.

WEll it's a little convoluted, but I have a listing of a Sensenich drawing number 42K19593 that corresponds to Type Certificate 546.

TC 546 is also designated for 43K19181 and you'll find that listing here, which shows it was a military contract for the civilian model 90-LA 76. That exact model isn't specifically listed on this list, but that list does show a 90-LA model with a different pitch, using the Continental R-670 5 engine, the same as yours. The horsepower is correct for that as well. I presume that Gardner simply manufactured it under an agreement with Sensenich, who held the type certificate for it. That practice was not uncommon.

It is clearly stamped for a PT 17 Airplane, however, and the other data fits even though we don't have it listed. It would have been made under a 1942 military contract and used on the PT 17 (Boeing Stearman).
    Last edited by Dave; 07-21-2009, 11:12 AM. Reason: 43K18181 corrected to 13K19181
    Dave

Comment

I'll add the new drawing number to the web page. Thanks Dave!

Comment

prop

what is the over-all lenght of your prop?

Comment

Length

It's about 8-9ft long

Comment

Value???

By the way how much is this worth-is this something I should be donating to a museum-selling, I love it, but we are so broke right now; I'm extremely conflicted as to rather or not I should hang on to it. Also is there any way to track what plane(s) it was on?
            Last edited by pollygirl; 07-23-2009, 01:49 AM. Reason: forgot a word...lol

Comment

It's almost impossible to know what specific plane it went on, and I think you'll be disappointed with a museum's response to donating it to them. It's not particularly rare.

The "market" for selling any collectible right now isn't very good. My advice is to just hang on to it. If you want to sell it, eBay is still your best bet. You'll need good photographs and a good description. I'd put a reserve on it. Use whatever value you want, but if it's higher than around $750 you might discourage any bidding.
              Dave

Comment

prop

i would think about buying it but i would have to know in inches how long it is .

Comment

Originally posted by john drews View Post
                  i would think about buying it but i would have to know in inches how long it is .
                  It's 90 inches long. The drawing number (90 LA - 76) shows that the diameter, or length, is 90 inches and the pitch is 76 inches. It doesn't hurt to have the owner actually measure it as well, though, because if it's less than that it means the tips have been cut down.
                  Dave

Comment

Measurements

i am moving so my tape measure is lost-but as soon as i find it i will post exact measurements/thanks dave.

Comment

Measurements

My husband measured it and says it's 98" long.

Comment

ALso

It has not been trimmed anywhere-the shiny parts are all still there-it's actually (now that we've cleaned it) in remarkably good condition-we're impressed with it. Some of the numbers are a little worn from age-but still okay-it's very nice.

Comment

According to the specifications for the design number, it's 90 inches in diameter (90 inches long). If in fact it is 98 inches in diameter then the design number is wrong. I know of no exceptions.

Comment

huh...

okay-I'll ask my husband to measure it again-maybe he's measuring it wrong, what is the best method for getting an accurate measurement???. thanks for the info!!!
                            Last edited by pollygirl; 07-25-2009, 09:01 PM. Reason: advice needed on mearsuring

Comment

Originally posted by pollygirl View Post
                              okay-I'll ask my husband to measure it again-maybe he's measuring it wrong, what is the best method for getting an accurate measurement???. thanks for the info!!!
                              Get a 10 ft tape measure. Have him hold one end against the very tip of one blade and pull the tape tight across the entire blade. Read the number on the tape that's just over the tip of the of the opposite blade. If it says 90" or 8" ft 4" where the prop seems to end, that's the length.

Don't let your husband do it. I think he screwed up once already.
                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X