X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1943 Propeller

1943 Propeller

Could someone please help me ID this wooden propeller

I would like to know what aircraft type it was used on and whether it has any historical significance. I think it may be from an Avro Anson

What would be the value if any?

My grandfather was an aircraft mechanic during the war and I inherited it from him some 40 years ago

The prop is still in it's original condition and has not been restored or tampered with

This is a copy of the ID plate on the prop:

Some Photos:

http://www.woodenpropeller.com/Britishprops.htm

I doubt any "historical significance", which would be hard to document anyway.
    Dave

Comment

I should rephrase my question a bit, English is not my home language so I often get into trouble trying to explain something

Does this propeller have any historic value for a museum or collector?

Comment

Well, it's an original item that's almost 70 years old and hasn't been refinished or altered in any way, so it's definitely "collectible" in that regard and would make a nice display propeller, whether it be in a private collection or a museum. When I say it won't have "historical value" I mean that it's unlikely to be directly tied to a historical event of any kind.
        Dave

Comment

Good Morning Andre,

Your prop is a good example of a prop fitted to the ubiquitous Airspeed Oxford, a two engine trainer used extensively by the RAF during WW2 for navigation training, wireless training, and multi-engine training and also used in several Commonwealth countries. Several thousand were made and several tens of thousands of props were made. Very few are in such good original conditional as yours. It is comparatively common, in that I see four or five a year. This and the unremarkable aircraft it came from reduces it's value to around £200 GBP, about $300 USD and about €250 EUR (or €2500 Greek Euro!)

With kind regards,

Bob
          Bob Gardner
          Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
          http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Thank you for your responses gentleman, I really appreciate it

I do think that this propeller is valuable enough to hang on to and will pass it
            on to my grandson one day, hopefully sparking his interest in aviation as well

Comment

Originally posted by AndreSteyn View Post
              Thank you for your responses gentleman, I really appreciate it

I do think that this propeller is valuable enough to hang on to and will pass it
              on to my grandson one day, hopefully sparking his interest in aviation as well
              Good choice!
              Dave

Comment

Originally posted by AndreSteyn View Post
                I do think that this propeller is valuable enough to hang on to and will pass it on to my grandson one day, hopefully sparking his interest in aviation as well
                I too applaud your decision, one I think you will not regret.

Lamar

Comment

Working...
                X